Pettis, Stafford and Carter earn AFL weekly honors
February 28, 2006 - Arena Football League (1987-2008) (AFL I) News Release
NEW YORK - Dallas Desperados WR/DB WILL PETTIS, Tampa Bay Storm QB SHANE STAFFORD and Nashville Kats WR/DB KHALIL CARTER have been named Ironman, Offensive Player and ADT Defensive Player of the Week, respectively, for Week 5 of the 2006 season.
IRONMAN: Pettis (6-0, 195, Midwestern State), who is in his fourth AFL season, helped propel the Desperados (4-1) to a 55-48 win over Las Vegas (1-4) on Saturday night in Dallas. He recorded six receptions for 68 yards and three touchdowns, added 48 kickoff return yards and six MFG-return yards on special teams, and posted 4.0 tackles, 1.0 tackle-for-loss and one pass break up on defense.
OFFENSIVE: Stafford (6-3, 210, Connecticut), who is in his fourth AFL season, completed 26-of-41 passes for 424 yards and seven touchdowns with one interception, in the Storm's (3-2) 58-48 win over previously undefeated Austin (4-1) on Saturday night in Tampa. Stafford also became the first player in AFL history to throw for 400-plus yards in back-to-back weeks after posting 458 yards in a Week 4 loss to Orlando.
ADT DEFENSIVE: Carter (6-1, 191, Arkansas), who is in his third AFL season, posted 11.0 tackles, two interceptions, two pass breaks ups in the Kats' (4-1) 47-31 home win over Grand Rapids (2-3) on Saturday night.
Ironman of the Week candidates included: Chicago's Buchie Ibeh, Colorado's Ahmad Hawkins, Georgia's Robert Thomas, Los Angeles' Greg Hopkins, New York' s DaShane Dennis, San Jose's James Roe, Tampa Bay's Lawrence Samuels and Utah's Orshawante Bryant.
Offensive Player of the Week candidates included: Chicago's Matt D'Orazio, Colorado's Damien Harrell, Dallas' Dialleo Burks, Tampa Bay's Demet Bendross and Utah's Siaha Burley and Joe Germaine.
ADT Defensive Player of the Week candidates included: Chicago's Jeremy Unertl, Columbus' Jerald Brown, Dallas' Jermaine Jones, Georgia's Nick Ward and New York's Dahnel Singfield.
PREVIOUS 2006 WINNERS:
Week 1: Los Angeles' Kevin Ingram (Ironman), Colorado's John Dutton (Offensive), Nashville's Frank Carter (Defensive)
Week 2: Nashville's Cornelius Bonner (Ironman), Dallas' Terrill Shaw (Offensive), Austin's Damon Mason (Defensive)
Week 3: San Jose's Charles Pauley (Ironman), New York's Aaron Garcia (Offensive), Grand Rapids' Johnnie Harris (Defensive)
Week 4: Philadelphia's Sean Scott (Ironman), Arizona's Damien Groce (Offensive), Georgia's Chris Brown (Defensive)
• Discuss this story on the Arena Football League (1987-2008) message board...
Arena Football League (1987-2008) Stories from February 28, 2006
- Kansas City Brigade game notes - Kansas City Brigade
- Brigade Trades for WR/LB Chris Brown - Kansas City Brigade
- Los Angeles Avengers game notes - Los Angeles Avengers
- Utah Blaze game notes - Utah Blaze
- San Jose SaberCats game notes - San Jose SaberCats
- Aaron Bailey and Mike Lawson placed on injured reserve - Grand Rapids Rampage
- Tampa Bay Storm game notes - Tampa Bay Storm
- Las Vegas Gladiators game notes - Las Vegas Gladiators
- Orlando Predators game notes - Orlando Predators
- Kats move to top of poll - AFL I
- Columbus Destroyers game notes - Columbus Destroyers
- Austin Wranglers game notes - Austin Wranglers
- Colorado Crush game notes - Colorado Crush
- Kats' Carter Named AFL Defensive Player of the Week - Nashville Kats
- Georgia Force game notes - Georgia Force
- Germaine named Beckett.com AFL Collectible Player of the Week - AFL I
- Arizona Rattlers game notes - Arizona Rattlers
- Pettis, Stafford and Carter earn AFL weekly honors - AFL I
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.