Kats move to top of poll
February 28, 2006 - Arena Football League (1987-2008) (AFL I) News Release
After the Austin Wranglers suffered their first loss of the season, the Schutt Sports Top 12 Poll received a new No. 1 when the Nashville Kats were elevated to the top.
Nashville (4-1) received 12 first-place votes from members of the Arena Football League Writers Association (AFLWA), giving the Kats 215 points. The Kats, who defeated the Grand Rapids Rampage 47-31 to move up a spot, are at the Arizona Rattlers (1-4) this week.
The Colorado Crush (4-1) moved up a spot to No. 2, receiving five first-place votes and 209 points. Colorado, which beat the Philadelphia Soul 48-38, hosts No. 12 Grand Rapids (2-3).
Austin (4-1) fell two spots to No. 3, taking in one first-place vote and totaling 200 points. The Wranglers, who fell to the Tampa Bay Storm 58-48, visits the No. 5 Georgia Force (3-2).
The other first-place vote went to the No. 4 Dallas Desperados (4-1), who totaled 159 points to remain in the same spot after a 55-48 victory over the Las Vegas Gladiators. Dallas is at the Chicago Rush (3-2), which is tied with the New York Dragons (3-2) at No. 7.
Georgia advanced two places following its 51-19 rout of the Kansas City Brigade, and Tampa Bay (3-2) gained two slots to No. 6. The Storm plays at Kansas City (1-4).
Chicago defeated the San Jose SaberCats 58-48 to move up two places, and New York moved up three spots after drubbing the Orlando Predators 55-35. The Dragons host the Columbus Destroyers (2-3).
Philadelphia (3-2), which dropped five spots to No. 9, is at Las Vegas (1-4). Orlando (3-2), also taking a major tumble in going from No. 6 to No. 10, is at home against the Los Angeles Avengers (1-4).
The No. 11 Utah Blaze (2-3) and No. 12 Grand Rapids switched places. Utah, a 68-66 winner over Los Angeles, hosts San Jose.
Schutt Sports, the sports gear company with a reputation for innovation, is sponsoring this season's Top 12 Poll. Its website is www.schuttsports.com.
The AFLWA, founded at the start of the 2004 season, is a national organization made up of media members who cover the Arena Football League. Mark Anderson of the Las Vegas Review-Journal is the AFLWA's founder and executive director. The website is www.aflwa.com.
1. Nashville Kats 4-1 (12) 215
2. Colorado Crush 4-1 (5) 209
3. Austin Wranglers 4-1 (1) 200
4. Dallas Desperados 4-1 (1) 159
5. Georgia Force 3-2 137
6. Tampa Bay Storm 3-2 121
T7. Chicago Rush 3-2 102
T7. New York Dragons 3-2 102
9. Philadelphia Soul 3-2 94
10. Orlando Predators 3-2 82
11. Utah Blaze 2-3 29
12. Grand Rapids Rampage 2-3 15
Others receiving votes: Columbus Destroyers 10, Los Angeles Avengers 5, San Jose SaberCats 2.
• Discuss this story on the Arena Football League (1987-2008) message board...
Arena Football League (1987-2008) Stories from February 28, 2006
- Kansas City Brigade game notes - Kansas City Brigade
- Brigade Trades for WR/LB Chris Brown - Kansas City Brigade
- Los Angeles Avengers game notes - Los Angeles Avengers
- Utah Blaze game notes - Utah Blaze
- San Jose SaberCats game notes - San Jose SaberCats
- Aaron Bailey and Mike Lawson placed on injured reserve - Grand Rapids Rampage
- Tampa Bay Storm game notes - Tampa Bay Storm
- Las Vegas Gladiators game notes - Las Vegas Gladiators
- Orlando Predators game notes - Orlando Predators
- Kats move to top of poll - AFL I
- Columbus Destroyers game notes - Columbus Destroyers
- Austin Wranglers game notes - Austin Wranglers
- Colorado Crush game notes - Colorado Crush
- Kats' Carter Named AFL Defensive Player of the Week - Nashville Kats
- Georgia Force game notes - Georgia Force
- Germaine named Beckett.com AFL Collectible Player of the Week - AFL I
- Arizona Rattlers game notes - Arizona Rattlers
- Pettis, Stafford and Carter earn AFL weekly honors - AFL I
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.