PASL Names Kraig Chiles Player of the Week
The Professional Arena Soccer League (PASL) today named Sockers forward Kraig Chiles the league's Player of the Week for the week of January 20th-26 th. The three-time defending PASL MVP surged to the top of the league's goals and points tables with eight goals and five assists (13 points) in two games, as the Sockers beat Saltillo 12-4 and Monterrey 8-6 in their weekend road trip to Coahuila, Mexico. It's the second P-O-W honor for Chiles in 2013-14 and the ninth of his career.
"It was a great weekend for the team, we did what we came to accomplish in Mexico, and I'm glad I was able to contribute," said Chiles of his record weekend, "It seems like our team is coming together at the right time, as we head into the playoffs."
Chiles tied his personal career best with nine points in the Sockers' 12-4 win over Saltillo, scoring four goals while adding a career-high five assists. Chiles set up five straight San Diego goals at one point. Sunday in front of a crowd of almost 5,000 in Monterrey, Chiles scored four more goals, three in the second half as the Sockers handed the Flash their first home loss of the season while improving to 8-0 on the road.
On the season, Chiles has 34 goals and 19 assists (53 points), good for the goals lead and points lead in the PASL. After starting the year recovering from injury with just four points in three games, Kraig has 49 points in his last eleven games (31 goals, 18 assists), a pace that would match his PASL-record 72 point performance from last season. His four game-winning goals also lead the league.
The Sockers (11-3) have won eleven of twelve after losing their first two games of the season. Currently in second place in the Pacific Division, the Sockers host the Toros de Mexico (7-5) on Saturday night in a possible first round playoff preview. It's T-Shirt Night presented by the Mighty 1090, with the first 5,000 fans in attendance receiving a new Sockers T-shirt. Tickets are available at (866) 799-GOAL, online at sockers.com, or at the Valley View Casino Center box office on gameday.
• Discuss this story on the Professional Arena Soccer League message board...
Professional Arena Soccer League Stories from January 28, 2014
- PASL Names Kraig Chiles Player of the Week - San Diego Sockers
- Professional Arena Soccer League Update - PASL
- US Open Arena Soccer Championships Quarterfinal Announced - Wichita B-52s
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Diego Sockers Stories
- Sockers Unveil 40th Anniversary Logo to Begin the Legacy of Champions Celebration
- Sockers Announce 24-Game 2018-19 MASL Schedule Beginning December 16
- San Diego Sockers Mourn Passing of the Legendary Ron Newman
- MASL Announces Conference & Divisional Alignments
- 2018-19 MASL Home Opener Set for Sunday, December 16 for 40th Anniversary