Parra Selected to USL Championship Team of the Week
Getting the second hat trick in Lights FC history earned forward Irvin Parra a spot in USL Championship's Team of the Week for week 6 of the 2019 season.
The Inglewood, California native scored his first official goal with Lights FC on April 6 on the road against San Antonio with a penalty kick. His first goal at Cashman Field against Tacoma Defiance on April 13^th was also a penalty kick, but that was just the beginning.
A counter attack that started with a long throw from goalkeeper Thomas Olsen was controlled by Parra just past midfield, taking the ball all the way into the box where he struck it with his left foot to send it between the legs of goalkeeper John Muse to extend Lights FC's lead to 3-0 in the 32nd minute of play.
With his team up by 4, Irvin got a golden chance to put the ball in the back of the net again and he took advantage of it. A beautiful cross by Matt Thomas in the one-hour mark of the match was hit with a header from Parra that placed the ball out of reach from Muse. His third goal of the match sealed Lights FC's win by a score of 5-0, the largest margin of victory in franchise history. It also earned him a spot in USL Championship's Team of the Week and 16 percent of the votes for Player of the Week. Parra and Tabort Etaka Preston combined to score every goal in Lights FC's 5-0 win over Tacoma. Fellow forward Tabort Etaka Preston was selected as a backup in the Team of the Week for his performance against Tacoma, where he got his first start at home and showed the soccer world his talents by scoring a brace with early strikes in each half of play. These were the first two goals in USL Championship for the Cameroon Youth National Team striker, who had previously been a part of the league's Charlotte Independence.
Lights FC returns to action this weekend as they visit RGV Toros in South Texas on Saturday, April 13 at 5:30 p.m. PT. The game will be broadcast live locally on MyLVTV and nationally on ESPN + , the Spanish radio broadcast will be available on ESPN Deportes Radio 1460AM and online on LVSportsNetwork.com.
The next Light FC home game will take place on Saturday, May 4 when Las Vegas hosts Sacramento Republic at 7:30 p.m. on "Cinco de Mayo Capes Night". Last season Lights FC gave away free Luchador wrestling masks in celebration of Cinco de Mayo. In what is now a club tradition that Lights FC will continue, now the team will give away to fans in attendance on May 4 a free Luchador wrestling cape. Tickets for this game and all Lights FC 2019 regular season home matches can be purchased at LightsFC.com/Tix or at any La Bonita Supermarket in Las Vegas.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from April 16, 2019
- New Mexico's Moar Earns Championship Player of the Week - New Mexico United
- Independence Victorious on McKenna Strong Night - Charlotte Independence
- Star Wars Night on May 4th - Saint Louis FC
- Legion FC Match v Red Bulls Rescheduled - Birmingham Legion FC
- Phoenix Rising Looks to Continue Unbeaten Start to Season - Phoenix Rising FC
- Tulsa Roughnecks Partner with Broken Arrow Soccer Club - FC Tulsa
- Military & STEM Night on April 27 - Saint Louis FC
- Mensah Named to Team of the Week Bench Following Supersub Performance - Nashville SC
- Louisville City President Brad Estes a Finalist for Executive of the Year - Louisville City FC
- Nashville SC Jumps to Second in Power Rankings - Nashville SC
- Oliveira Makes 18-Player Selection for Championship Team of the Week - Ottawa Fury FC
- Kevin Kerr Named to USL Championship Team of the Week - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Parra Selected to USL Championship Team of the Week - Las Vegas Lights FC
- New Mexico's Moar Earns Championship Player of the Week - USL
- San Antonio FC Defender Joshua Yaro Named to USL Championship Team of the Week - San Antonio FC
- Forward Kacper Przybylko Earns USL Championship Team of the Week Honors - Philadelphia Union II
- Autism Awareness Night a Rousing Success for Nashville SC - Nashville SC
- 3 Things to Watch: Bethlehem Steel FC - Charlotte Independence
- United Soccer League Announces Partnership with Spiideo - USL
- Hartford Athletic Announces Stanley Black & Decker as Founding Partner - Hartford Athletic
- Bethlehem Steel FC Takes on Charlotte Independence Tonight - Philadelphia Union II
- Dane Kelly Brace Gives Indy Eleven 3-1 Win at Swope Park Rangers - Indy Eleven
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Las Vegas Lights FC Stories
- Lights FC Closes 2020 Season
- Late Equalizers Lifts Lights FC to Draw with LA Galaxy II
- Lights FC Heads to Southern California for Two-Match Road Trip
- 11-Year Major League Soccer Veteran MLS Cup Champion Quincy Amarikwa Signs with Lights FC
- Lights FC Crushes Orange County's Undefeated Record with 3-1 Win