Otters Win Series in Walk-off Fashion
EVANSVILLE, Ind. - The Evansville Otters used all nine innings to get the job done Thursday night, earning a 6-5 win over the Windy City ThunderBolts in the bottom of the ninth.
Windy City found offense first in the game, scoring an opening run with an RBI single from Bren Spillane in the top half of the fourth.
The Otters bounced back in the bottom half of the fourth, scoring a game-tying run on an error from T-Bolts right fielder Brynn Martinez. Later in the inning, Evansville grabbed a lead on a Jeffrey Baez RBI fielder's choice.
But in the top of the fifth, Windy City struck right back after loading the bases on a trio of singles. Spillane continued his big day with a grand slam, giving the ThunderBolts a 5-2 lead.
Again the Otters returned the favor in the back half as Bryan Rosario brought in a run with a bases-loaded walk. George Callil scored the second run in the inning on a wild pitch from Dazon Cole.
The 5-4 Windy City lead lasted into the eighth inning when the Otters next pushed for a run. After a walk and stolen base from Baez, Elijah MacNamee tied the game at 5-5 with an RBI single.
The Otters loaded the bases in the ninth, searching for a game-winning hero. With just one out, Baez sent a weak groundball to the left side of the infield as Miles Gordon beat the throw home to give Evansville their 6-5 win. It was the second walk-off win for Evansville in 2022.
The win went to Logan Sawyer, who pitched the final out in the top of the ninth for Evansville. The loss fell on Windy City closer Layne Schnitz-Paxton.
With the win, Evansville wins the midweek series and season series against the ThunderBolts.
The Otters continue their regular season on the road with a weekend set at Washington. First pitch is set for 6:05 p.m. CT. Audio-only coverage is available on the Otters YouTube page.
The Evansville Otters are the 2006 and 2016 Frontier League champions.
The Otters play all home games at historic Bosse Field, located at 23 Don Mattingly Way in Evansville, Ind. Stay up-to-date with the Evansville Otters by visiting evansvilleotters.com, or follow the Otters on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
Images from this story
Evansville Otters on game day
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from August 19, 2022
- Grizzlies Walk Off on Wild Pitch to Snap Friday Streak - Gateway Grizzlies
- Longball Secures Win for the 'Cats to Start Road Trip - Tri-City ValleyCats
- Grizzlies Walk off on Wild Pitch to Snap Friday Streak - Gateway Grizzlies
- Bats Go Quietly in Titans' Loss to Capitales - Ottawa Titans
- Crushers' Late Offense Not Enough in Series Opener - Lake Erie Crushers
- Smith Leads Otters to Shutout Win at Washington - Evansville Otters
- Wild Things Shut Out in Series Opener - Washington Wild Things
- Boomers Open Weekend with Shutout - Schaumburg Boomers
- Schaumburg Shuts Out Y'alls - Florence Y'alls
- Smith Homers In 6th Straight Game In Boulders' Win - New York Boulders
- Otters Win Series in Walk-off Fashion - Evansville Otters
- ThunderBolts Drop Series Finale to Otters - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Feldmann Dominates, But Grizzlies Lose in Tenth - Gateway Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.