Osprey Take Season Opener against Voyagers
GREAT FALLS, MT - Nine men came to the plate in the pivotal third inning as the Missoula Osprey(1-0) defeat the Great Falls Voyagers(0-1) by a final score of 6-1.
After a scoreless top of the first, the Voyagers took an early 1-0 lead thanks to an RBI groundout by Luis Mieses. With one out in the second, Liover Peguero cranked a double that was mishandled by the right fielder, allowing him to move to third. He then scored on a balk call, tying the game up at one.
In the top of the third, Jose Reyes reached on a one out double then moved to third on a fly out. Tristen Carranza walked and Axel Andueza singled, scoring Reyes and moving Carranza to second for a 2-1 Osprey lead. Peguero extended the lead with an RBI single and Francis Martinez walked to load the bases for David Sanchez. Sanchez then cleared the bases as he ripped a double toward to left field corner, giving Missoula a 6-1 lead.
From there, the pitching took over as the bullpen for Great Falls held the Osprey hitless the rest of the way. The Missoula reliever combo of Lui Fuenmayor, Oliver Rosario, and Ryan Fritze did the same, keep the Voyagers off the scoreboard to secure the win.
Wilfry Cruz picked up the season-opening win for the Osprey, improving his record to 1-0. He went solid innings, allowing one unearned run on two hits. With five strikeouts on the game, Cruz, at one point, retired 11 in a row, and finished by getting 14 of his last 15. Sean Thompson drops to 0-1 with the loss after going 2.2 innings, giving up six runs, on six hits, and two walks, while fanning four.
The Osprey and Voyagers will continue this season-opening three-game series, tomorrow night with another battle of righties, as Carter Love goes for Great Falls, and Edgar Martinez gets the call for the Osprey. First pitch is at 7pm, and the pre-game gets things started at 6:45pm on ESPN Missoula.
• Discuss this story on the Pioneer League message board...
Pioneer League Stories from June 15, 2019
- Webb Spins Gem to Give Chukars Opening Night Win - Idaho Falls Chukars
- Seismic Sixth Turns Tide for Chukars - Idaho Falls Chukars
- Osprey Offense Stalls in First Loss of Season - Missoula PaddleHeads
- Medrano Makes Statement in Pioneer League Debut, But Mustangs Fall 4-3 - Billings Mustangs
- D-Backs Assign Brickhouse to Osprey - Missoula PaddleHeads
- Rockies Shut out 12-0 in Season Opener - Grand Junction Rockies
- Voyagers Drop Season Opener to Missoula - Great Falls Voyagers
- Owlz Combine for One-Hitter - Northern Colorado Owlz
- Raps Blast Rox in Playoff Rematch - Ogden Raptors
- Osprey Take Season Opener against Voyagers - Missoula PaddleHeads
- Bullpen Battle Goes to Chukars, 5-2, on Opening Day - Billings Mustangs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Missoula PaddleHeads Stories
- Missoula PaddleHeads Announce Professional Baseball to Stay in Missoula
- PaddleHeads Support Health Dept. Updates: Cancel October 29 Showing of Scream
- PaddleHeads to Host Matchstick Productions: HUCK YEAH Premiere
- Centerfield Cinema Plays on through October, New Titles Announced
- PaddleHeads, Missoula Freestyle Team Announce TGR: Make Believe Premiere