Orlando City Hosts New England Revolution in Eastern Conference Semifinals
ORLANDO, Fla. - Orlando City SC continues its historic postseason run on Sunday, Nov. 29, set to host the New England Revolution at Exploria Stadium in the Eastern Conference Semifinals of the Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs. Kickoff for Sunday's contest, presented by Orlando Health, is set for 3 p.m. ET.
The match will be nationally televised on ABC and ESPN Deportes, while being transmitted on Real Radio 104.1 in English and AcciÃ³n 97.9FM, 810AM in Spanish.
"The expectation is always high to keep advancing to our objective which is being in that final and obviously aiming for the trophy, but every step that we take is different," Head Coach Oscar Pareja said. "We're just getting ready and preparing the team and the players are in the same mode of putting themselves in the best form to face New England now and advance. We're ready, the boys are ready."
Sunday will mark the second-consecutive match of the Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs that the Lions will host at Exploria Stadium, after the Revolution knocked off the Supporters' Shield winners Philadelphia Union on Tuesday night. It will also serve as the first matchup between the two sides in the calendar year, their last contest resulting in a thrilling 3-3 draw at Exploria Stadium on Sept. 14, 2019.
City earned its spot in the Eastern Conference Semifinals following a victory over 2015 expansion rivals New York City FC last Saturday, defeating the Pigeons in a wild penalty shootout. After goalkeeper Pedro Gallese was sent off with a second yellow card, defender Rodrigo Schlegel stepped into net, then making the save on NYCFC's Gudmundur ThÃ³rainsson in sudden death. Homegrown Benji Michel subsequently stepped up to the spot, converting his attempt to send the Lions through to Sunday's Semifinal round.
Chris Mueller leads the Lions in goals this season with 10 across all competitions, followed by Nani with nine. Mauricio Pereyra holds the team-high in assists with eight to his credit.
New England punched its ticket to Sunday's Semifinal matchup after upsetting the top-seeded Philadelphia Union on Tuesday night with a 2-0 shutout victory at Subaru Park. Adam Buksa opened the scoring in the 26th minute, followed by a finish from Tajon Buchanan four minutes later. Goalkeeper Matt Turner registered four saves for the Revs to preserve the shutout in route to the upset by the visitors.
Teal Bunbury holds the team-high in goals for New England this season with eight, followed by Buksa now with seven across all competitions. With two assists on Tuesday, Carles Gil now sits tied for the team lead in assists with four along with Cristian Penilla.
The winner of Sunday's match will advance to the Eastern Conference Finals, set for Sunday, Dec. 6, where they will face the winner of Columbus Crew SC and Nashville SC.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 28, 2020
- Columbus Crew SC Hosts Nashville SC Tomorrow in Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs Eastern Conference Semifinals Match - Columbus Crew SC
- What to Watch for as Nashville SC Faces off against Columbus Crew SC in Eastern Conference Semifinals - Nashville SC
- By the Numbers: the Conference Semifinals - Orlando City SC
- Orlando City Hosts New England Revolution in Eastern Conference Semifinals - Orlando City SC
- Game Preview: New England Revolution at Orlando City SC - New England Revolution
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Orlando City SC Stories
- Orlando City SC Acquires American Goalkeeper Brandon Austin
- Orlando City Selects Forward Derek Dodson in 2021 MLS SuperDraft
- Orlando City Acquires No. 8 Selection in 2021 MLS SuperDraft
- U.S Men's National Team to Open 2021 against Trinidad & Tobago on January 31 at Exploria Stadium
- Four City Homegrowns Join CF Pachuca for Offseason Training Stint