By the Numbers: the Conference Semifinals
5-0 - Penalty prowess
Orlando City won their second penalty shootout of 2020 last weekend, albeit in more dramatic fashion than usual, when they downed NYCFC 6-5 to move on to the Eastern Conference semifinals. Since entering MLS in 2015, Orlando City have never lost a penalty shootout, winning five out of five. The first three-against Charleston Battery in 2015, DC United in 2018, and the famous "Running of the Wall" against NYCFC in 2019-all occurred in the U.S. Open Cup, while the fourth was against LAFC in the quarterfinals of the MLS is Back Tournament.
0 - New England wins in Orlando
Orlando City have faced the New England Revolution seven times in Central Florida in all competitions. In that span, the Revs have never beaten the Lions, a fact mentioned by New England goalkeeper Matt Turner in an interview with MLSsoccer.com's Extratime podcast. Orlando has three wins and four draws against the Revs at home, including a record-breaking 6-1 win in 2017 and a 2-1 extra time victory in the 2019 U.S. Open Cup, the only previous knockout game ever between the two sides.
34 - Experience in this Arena
New England Revolution head coach Bruce Arena has won five MLS Cups, more than any other manager in league history. In total, Arena has 34 career playoff wins, also a league record. Sigi Schmid, the man for whom the league's Coach of the Year award is named, is second with 26, while LAFC head coach Bob Bradley and former Houston Dynamo and San Jose Earthquakes manager Dominic Kinnear tied way back in third at 15.
2 - Sets of college teammates
In an astonishing coincidence, not one, but two sets of college teammates could not only be on the field on Sunday, but could go directly against one another. Former Virginia Cavaliers Daryl Dike and Henry Kessler should match up in front of New England's goal, where 2019 ACC Tournament MVP Kessler will look to slow down the red-hot Dike, who scored eight goals in his rookie season to finish third in the AT&T Young Player of the Year voting. On Orlando's left flank, former Syracuse defender Kamal Miller could face up against ex-teammate Tajon Buchanan, who has filled in at right back for the Revs over the past few games.
1.5 - FAIRWINDS Credit Union
Score up to 1.5% cash back and LionNation points when you use your FAIRWINDS Orlando City Visa® or Orlando Pride Visa® on game day purchases and everyday essentials. Apply today and get purple carded.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 28, 2020
- Columbus Crew SC Hosts Nashville SC Tomorrow in Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs Eastern Conference Semifinals Match - Columbus Crew SC
- What to Watch for as Nashville SC Faces off against Columbus Crew SC in Eastern Conference Semifinals - Nashville SC
- By the Numbers: the Conference Semifinals - Orlando City SC
- Orlando City Hosts New England Revolution in Eastern Conference Semifinals - Orlando City SC
- Game Preview: New England Revolution at Orlando City SC - New England Revolution
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Orlando City SC Stories
- Orlando City SC Acquires American Goalkeeper Brandon Austin
- Orlando City Selects Forward Derek Dodson in 2021 MLS SuperDraft
- Orlando City Acquires No. 8 Selection in 2021 MLS SuperDraft
- U.S Men's National Team to Open 2021 against Trinidad & Tobago on January 31 at Exploria Stadium
- Four City Homegrowns Join CF Pachuca for Offseason Training Stint