Orange County SC Agrees to Historic Transfer with VFL Wolfsburg for Bryang Kayo
IRVINE, Calif. - Orange County SC today announced the transfer of 18-year-old midfielder, Bryang Kayo to VfL Wolfsburg of the German Bundesliga, as reported last week by numerous media outlets such as ESPN and Sports Illustrated.
"We pride ourselves at being at the forefront of player development in the United States and our first ever official European transfer is definitely a landmark moment for our club," said OCSC President of Soccer Operations, Oliver Wyss. "Bryang is a top talent with a great career in front of him and we are proud to have played our part in his development. At the same time, we are actively working on more exciting European transfers and on signing new top youth prospects to Orange County!"
The transfer is a significant milestone for Orange County SC, as Kayo becomes the first-ever player to be transferred from the Club to an elite European team. Orange County SC also becomes the first USL team to transfer a player to the German Bundesliga. Since Orange County SC's rebrand in 2016, the organization has placed a significant emphasis on player development with the promise to provide young talented players a professional pathway. The transfer marks the first player to come through the system and fulfilling the Club's promise to provide a clear pathway for players to Europe.
Kayo, 18 joined the club in September 2019 and made the matchday roster numerous times before being selected to represent the U.S. at the 2019 FIFA U-17 World Cup in October. He made his U-17 World Cup debut against the Netherlands, coming on as a second-half substitute.
Kayo will now join up with VfL Wolfsburg and initially play with the Bundesliga club's second team, WFL Wolfsburg II, who competes in the Regionalliga Nord league. Per club policy, the terms of the deal will not be disclosed.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from July 27, 2020
- RGV FC Toros vs FC Tulsa to be Played Behind Closed Doors - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- RGV FC Adds Defender/Midfielder Ian Hoffmann to Roster for 2020 USL Championship Season - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Orange County SC Agrees to Historic Transfer with VFL Wolfsburg for Bryang Kayo - Orange County SC
- Hounds to Host Philadelphia Union II Without Fans on August 1 - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- LouCity Signs 'Dynamic' Forward Johnson - Louisville City FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.