Ontario Hockey League Announces Cancellation of 2020 OHL Playoffs
March 23, 2020 - Ontario Hockey League (OHL) News Release
Toronto, Ont. - Ontario Hockey League (OHL) Commissioner David Branch, in partnership with the Canadian Hockey League (CHL), announced today the cancellation of the 2020 OHL Playoffs.
The CHL additionally announced the cancellation of the 2020 Memorial Cup that was scheduled to be held in Kelowna, BC from May 22-31, 2020. The 2021 Memorial Cup will be hosted by the OHL in May 2021.
Following consultation with the CHL's Board of Directors as well as the OHL's Board of Governors, it was determined that extreme precautions must be taken in light of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. As a result, the League's annual Championship trophies, the J. Ross Robertson Cup as well as the Memorial Cup, will not be awarded in 2020.
The League has continued to monitor ongoing public health developments regarding COVID-19. Given the troubling state of our global climate and public welfare, there is still too much risk and uncertainty to move forward in good conscience.
"This is a very difficult decision," said OHL Commissioner David Branch. "In times like this, the safety of our players, officials, staff, fans and the general public is paramount.
"The environment that we currently find ourselves in is much more important than the game of hockey, and we all have a part to play in getting through these difficult times together. At the appropriate time, when it is safe to do so, our players look forward to returning to the ice in our passionate hockey communities to assist in the overall healing process."
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from March 23, 2020
- Statement from President and Governor Rocco Tullio on the Cancellation of the 2020 Playoffs - Oshawa Generals
- Colts Provide Update - Barrie Colts
- Statement from Steelheads Owner & President Elliott Kerr - Mississauga Steelheads
- Game Cancellation Ticket Policy - Oshawa Generals
- 2020 OHL Playoffs & Memorial Cup Cancelled - Owen Sound Attack
- Ontario Hockey League Announces Cancellation of 2020 OHL Playoffs - Erie Otters
- Statement from Spirit President and Managing Partner, OHL Chairman of the Board of Governors Craig Goslin - Saginaw Spirit
- OHL Announces Cancellation of 2020 OHL Playoffs - Flint Firebirds
- Canadian Hockey League Cancels 2020 Playoffs and Memorial Cup - Peterborough Petes
- COVID-19 Concerns Force Cancellation of Entire OHL Season Including Playoffs - Ottawa 67's
- Ontario Hockey League Announces Cancellation of 2020 OHL Playoffs - Oshawa Generals
- Ontario Hockey League Announces Cancellation of 2020 OHL Playoffs - OHL
- CHL Cancels 2020 Playoffs and Memorial Cup - OHL
- Kiana Scott Hopes to Inspire as First Female OHL Scout - Erie Otters
- Despite Pause on Season, Attack Looking Forward to the Draft - Owen Sound Attack
- Spirit Captain Damien Giroux Signs with Minnesota Wild - Saginaw Spirit
- Attack Announce Ticket Policy for 2019-20 Cancelled Games - Owen Sound Attack
- Sting Send Deepest Condolences to Borody Family - Sarnia Sting
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.