Niedert Earns Big 2-1 Generals Victory Over Icehawks
FLINT, MI - The Flint Generals earned a hard fought 2-1 win against the Port Huron IceHawks Saturday night at McMorran Arena in front of a packed house for Star Wars Night.
The IceHawks' Brandon Kaleniecki generated loud cheers when he opened the scoring 3:38 into the first period. Goaltender Nick Niedert was lured out of crease and Kaleniecki skated around a sprawled Niedert to put the puck into the empty net.
Brandon Gentile scored his sixth goal this season at 11:13 of the opening period to tie the game. The teams were playing 4-on-4 and Gentile skated down right side, took a backhanded shot beating Adam Russo.
The Generals took a 2-1 lead in the middle frame with a power play goal off the stick of Jamie Schaafma, and they never looked back.
Eight power play opportunities were presented to the Generals; they connected on one of those chances while they only gave Port Huron three man advantage opportunities.
In his third straight start, Niedert stopped 31 of 32 shots faced through 60 minutes.
The Generals return to action Wednesday night when they return to Bloomington for a 7:05 (8:05 PM EST) face-off. It is their first time back in Bloomington since Jan. 17th, a game that resulted in a line-brawl. Flint returns to Perani February 13th when they host the IceHawks. On Feb. 16th the PrairieThunder make their return for a 7:30 PM contest, the original 10:30 AM start was changed.
Tickets for the game on Feb. 13th, and all Generals home games, are available at the Perani Arena Ticket Office, by phone at 810-744-0222, or through Ticketmaster. For group ticket information, contact the Generals Office at 810-744-0222 or visit our website at www.flintgenerals.com.
• Discuss this story on the International Hockey League 2 message board...
International Hockey League 2 Stories from January 30, 2010
- Muskegon tops Thunder - Bloomington PrairieThunder
- Mallards Dramatically Down Dayton 3-2 - Quad City Mallards
- Niedert Earns Big 2-1 Generals Victory Over Icehawks - Flint Generals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Flint Generals Stories
- Generals Zvyagin on Shelf, Alban Signed as Emergency Backup
- Generals and Komets Prepare for Game 4 on Friday
- Generals Win Thriller in OT to Take Game 3
- Generals Prepared For Game 3 Of Turner Cup Finals At Home Tonight At 7pm
- Generals Defeat Muskegon In Game 7; Will Face Fort Wayne In Turner Cup Finals