Newton Named to USL Team of the Week
CINCINNATI, OH - Goalkeeper Evan Newton's double-save preserved a 1-0 FC Cincinnati lead in an eventual win for the Orange and Blue over Indy Eleven last week. FCC will pit their 2-0 season record against Louisville City FC, also 2-0, in the home opener this Sat., Apr. 7 at Nippert Stadium.
Newton, who grabbed a USL Team of the Week nod, was called for tripping in the box in the 38th minute but made up for the foul by denying Jack McInerny on the penalty kick with a dive to the left side. Newton then quickly recovered to send the rebound shot from Benjamin Speas away and keep Indy Eleven off the board.
Newton totaled six saves en route to his second clean sheet of the year as FCC opened the season at 2-0 for the first time. He is currently tied for fifth among the league leaders with 10 saves.
FCC's match against the defending USL champions this Sat. is the first of three matches in the River Cities Cup.
Gates will open at 5:30 p.m. Tickets can be purchased online at //fccincinnati.com/tickets or by calling 513-977-KICK.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from April 3, 2018
- Mid-Week Match vs. Portland Timbers 2 - FC Tulsa
- Capelli Sport Stadium Partners with NY's 529 College Savings Program in 2018 - Rochester Rhinos
- Herrera Claims USL Team of the Week Selection - Charlotte Independence
- Newton Named to USL Team of the Week - FC Cincinnati
- Fresno's Juan Pablo Caffa Named to USL Team of the Week - Fresno FC
- Orange County's Enevoldsen Named USL Player of the Week - USL
- FCC, Moerlein Introduce New Look to Original Lager - FC Cincinnati
- USL's Week Ahead - USL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent FC Cincinnati Stories
- Minnesota United FC Tops FC Cincinnati 1-0
- FC Cincinnati Weekly Update: October 19, 2020
- D.C. United Defeats FC Cincinnati 2-1
- Nick Hagglund's game-winning goal lifts the Orange and Blue over Columbus
- FC Cincinnati Sign Goalkeeper Beckham Sunderland as a Homegrown Player