New England Ties Series With 5-1 Win
The Thunder (17-23) came into Thursday's game with the opportunity to move to within one game of the final playoff spot, but could not come up with hits in key situations, and fell to the New England Riptide (19-21), 5-1.
Outfielder Kristen Zaleski had another outstanding game in the batter's box, going 1-for-1 with an RBI and two walks. She has now reached base in eight consecutive plate appearances (four hits, three walks, one hit-by-pitch), dating back to Tuesday's seventh inning. She has also successfully reached base at least once in twelve straight games.
After the Riptide led off the game with two runs in the first inning, Rockford scored its only run of the night. Erin Evans scored her team-leading 20th run of the season off of a Zaleski single to center field. New England would go on to score three insurance runs in the seventh inning.
Serena Settlemier (2-10) gave up four earned runs over six innings, and took the loss for Rockford. Eileen Canney (11-8) pitched the complete game for the Riptide, allowing just five hits and one run.
Rockford will jump back into action Friday, beginning a four-game home series against the Philadelphia Force. All four games will be part of the Thunder's Fan Appreciation Week, and new special promotions will take place each night. Please refer here for more information on these promotions. Friday's first pitch will be at 6:35 pm at Players Park in Roscoe. Tickets are just $5.
• Discuss this story on the National Pro Fastpitch message board...
National Pro Fastpitch Stories from August 8, 2008
- Force win on wild pitch - Philadelphia Force
- Thorson, Trimboli lead Bandits to 2-1 win over New England Riptide - Chicago Bandits
- Pauly Bests Tincher, Glory Make Playoffs - Washington Glory
- Riptide drop first game to Bandits 2-1 - New England Riptide
- Washington Glory Host Tincher's Racers In Home Finale - Washington Glory
- New England Ties Series With 5-1 Win - New England Riptide
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.