New England Revolution Acquire Defender Christian Mafla
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. - The New England Revolution have signed defender Christian Mafla (pronounced CHRIS-tian MA-fla) following his transfer from Colombian side Atlético Nacional. The 27-year-old arrives in New England after 10 professional seasons in South America, including the last five in Colombia's top-flight CategorÃa Primera A with Atlético Nacional and Atlético Bucaramanga.
"Christian Mafla is a left-sided defender who offers both experience and skill in his position, making him a very good addition to our backline," Sporting Director and Head Coach Bruce Arena said. "Christian is a strong one-on-one defender, a talented passer, and is comfortable moving into the attack. We are delighted to welcome him to the Revolution."
Mafla, 27, owns more than 190 professional appearances in all competitions across stints with Atlético Nacional, Atlético Bucaramanga, BoyacÃ¡ Chicó, América de Cali, Sud América, and Olimpo. The defender joined Nacional in 2017 and played 78 games for the club, including 62 in Primera A. He featured in 11 games in 2020 after seeing action in a career-high 30 league games in 2019. In his first full season with the club in 2018, Mafla made 18 league appearances and helped Atlético Nacional claim its fourth Copa Colombia championship.
A native of Palmira, Colombia, Mafla spent three-and-a-half years with Atlético Bucaramanga from 2014-17, where he totaled 95 appearances. He also played in 12 Copa Colombia contests for the club during his tenure. In 2015, Mafla made 26 starts and helped lead Bucaramanga to its second Primera B title, earning promotion to Primera A. Over the next two seasons in the top flight, Mafla played in 44 games, starting 43, with one goal scored.
Mafla made his professional debut on April 27, 2011 in the Copa Colombia for BoyacÃ¡ Chicó. He transferred to América de Cali in 2012, where he appeared in 23 contests across all competitions -17 in Primera B action. Mafla split 2013 between Sud América in Uruguay's Segunda Division and Olimpo in Argentina's Primera B Nacional.
TRANSACTION: New England Revolution signed defender Christian Mafla via transfer from Atlético Nacional on Dec. 21, 2020.
CHRISTIAN MAFLA AT A GLANCE:
- Left-footed defender arrives in New England with more than 190 career appearances across 10 seasons in South America, including five in Colombia's top division.
- Featured in 78 games for Atlético Nacional from 2017-20, including 62 in Primera A, helping lift the 2018 Copa Colombia trophy.
- Appeared in 95 games for Atlético Bucaramanga from 2014-17, helping the side earn promotion to the first division after winning the Primera B title in 2015.
- Palmira native began pro career in 2011 with Colombian side BoyacÃ¡ Chicó.
Full Name: Christian Camilo Mafla Rebellón
Pronunciation: CHRIS-tian MA-fla
Date of Birth: January 15, 1993 (Palmira, Colombia)
Hometown: Palmira, Colombia
Last Club: Atlético Nacional (COL)
Previous Experience: BoyacÃ¡ Chicó (2011), América de Cali (2012), Sud América (2013), Olimpo (2013), Atlético Bucaramanga (2014-17), Atlético Nacional (2017-20)
Acquired: Signed by New England via transfer from Atlético Nacional on Dec. 21, 2020.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from December 21, 2020
- LAFC Faces Tigres UANL Tomorrow in SCCL Finals - Los Angeles FC
- Real Salt Lake Icon Kyle Beckerman Announces Retirement - Real Salt Lake
- FC Dallas Acquires Jose Antonio Martinez from SD Eibar - FC Dallas
- Austin FC Signs Free Agent Midfielder and Three-Time MLS Cup Winner Hector Jimenez - Austin FC
- Inter Miami CF Academy Presented by Baptist Health Closes 2020 on a High - Inter Miami CF
- Nashville SC Trades International Spot to Vancouver Whitecaps - Nashville SC
- Vancouver Whitecaps FC Acquire 2021 International Slot from Nashville SC - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- New England Revolution Acquire Defender Christian Mafla - New England Revolution
- Bressan and Phelipe Megiolaro Return to FC Dallas for 2021 Season - FC Dallas
- Austin FC Announces New Soccer Operations Hires - Austin FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New England Revolution Stories
- Revolution Open 2021 MLS Season with 2-2 Draw against Chicago Fire FC
- New England Revolution Open 2021 MLS Season Saturday at Chicago Fire FC
- New England Revolution Youth Development Highlights: April 14, 2021
- Revolution Conclude Preseason with 3-3 Draw vs. LAFC
- CBS Boston and New England Revolution Announce New Local Broadcast Partnership