Near-Record Crowd on Hand for Inaugural Season Finale
St. Charles, Mo - Over 6,000 fans came out to support the Chill for their inaugural season finale but it was the Quad City Mallards who took control of the game in the second period and pulled away in the third for a final score of 5-0 on Saturday night.
The Chill (11-49-6) fed off the energy of 6,542 fans in the house but could not cash in on a couple of early quality scoring chances before Quad City (32-23-10) got things going offensively. The Mallards took a 1-0 lead on a fluky goal when a centering pass tipped off a skate blade and popped over the shoulder of Robby Moss midway through the opening frame. The game would go back and forth the rest of the period before Quad City's Mike Stinziani took a loose puck in the crease and put it top shelf in the final second of the first for a 2-0 lead.
The Mallards poured on the offensive pressure in the second period, outshooting St. Charles 18-4 but Moss came up with some big saves. Quad City finally broke through with less than two minutes left in the second period on a goal from Jordan Mayer to stretch the lead to 3-0.
The Chill outshot the Mallards in the final period but it was Quad City who put the game out of reach at the 6:13 mark on a goal from Jeff Lee. St. Charles could not find a way to solve Thomas Heemskirk in net who would pitch the shutout on the night. The Mallards would add an unassisted power play goal from Nagy in the final minute of play to post the final score of 5-0.
The St. Charles Chill would like to thank all the fans and sponsors for a great inaugural season. You can reserve your season tickets today, starting at under $10 a game. For more information on the Chill, or to reserve you season tickets for the 2014-2015 season, call 636.724.SHOT (7468) or visit www.stcharleschill.com.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from March 29, 2014
- Mavericks Announce Round 1 Playoff Schedule - Kansas City Mavericks
- Mavericks Drop Final Home Game to Oilers 5-3 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Denver Cutthroats Score One Goal to Fall to Allen Americans - Denver Cutthroats
- Oilers Down Mavs 5-3 for Fourth Straight Win - Tulsa Oilers
- Near-Record Crowd on Hand for Inaugural Season Finale - St. Charles Chill
- Mallards Blank Chill, Clinch Fifth - Quad City Mallards
- CHL Suspends Denver's T.J. Fox - CHL
- Central Hockey League Announces Suspension - CHL
- Americans Host Denver Tonight in Regular Season Finale - Allen Americans
- Thunder Lose High-Scoring Contest in OT vs. Sundogs - Wichita Thunder
- Rush Fall In Marathon Shootout To Beast, 3-2 - Rapid City Rush
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent St. Charles Chill Stories
- Near-Record Crowd on Hand for Inaugural Season Finale
- Chill Comeback Not Enough in 7-3 Loss
- Mavericks Defeat Chill 8-0
- Tulsa Tops Chill 6-3
- Chill Fall to Allen 5-4