MLS, Players Reach New Agreement, Sets Stage for Resuming 2020 Season
June 3, 2020 - Major League Soccer (MLS) News Release
Major League Soccer and the MLS Players Association completed a new collective bargaining agreement on Wednesday after the MLSPA voted to approve a revised plan.
"Thanks to the leadership of our union and the leadership of all the folks at ownership who were working hard to reach an agreement, we were fortunate to be able to finalize an agreement, as the union announced early this morning," said MLS Commissioner Don Garber during a video conference with media this Wednesday afternoon.
The new CBA will run through 2025 and includes agreement on a plan to resume the 2020 season with a tournament in Orlando.
MLS suspended the season on March 12 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
"Since the beginning of the suspension of our season, we have been focused on trying to develop a return to play plan for our teams and before that a training protocol while trying to manage the impact of this crisis on our league."
Full details, including specific dates and competition format for the Orlando tournament, are expected to be revealed in the coming days.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from June 3, 2020
- Statement from the LA Galaxy on Tea Katai - LA Galaxy
- Real Salt Lake, Utah Royals FC and Real Monarchs Players Announce Support for Salt Lake City School District Cultural Competency Program - Real Salt Lake
- MLS, Players Reach New Agreement, Sets Stage for Resuming 2020 Season - MLS
- D.C. United to Begin Voluntary Small Group Training at Audi Field on June 4 - D.C. United
- FC Dallas Issues Statement on Return to Play - FC Dallas
- Kroenke Sports Charities Raises $54,000 for Local Food Banks Through Online Auction - Colorado Rapids
- Rodolfo Pizarro to Participate in Inaugural U.S. Soccer eSeries 1 - Inter Miami CF
- FCC Gamer Fiddle Called up to U.S. eNational Team, Will Represent U.S. in International Tournament - FC Cincinnati
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.