Minnesota Wilderness Weekend Recap
Sunday, March 21st
Chippewa 2 @ MN Wilderness 3 (OT) - Wilderness defenseman Grant Docter scored twice, including the game-winning goal in overtime to lead his team to their third win in a row against the Steel. The Wilderness jumped out to a 1-0 lead thanks to a goal early in the 1st period from Mikol Sartor. The Steel would respond with two straight goals to take a 2-1 lead, which included a shorthanded goal from Ian Famulak and Zach Maillette's first NAHL goal. The Wilderness tied the game early in the 2nd period as Docter scored his first of the night. After a scoreless 3rd period, Docter potted the game-winner less than a minute into overtime, as he converted on a 2 on 1. Kaleb Johnson made 25 saves in the win, while Grant Boldt made 34 saves in the loss.
Saturday, March 20th
MN Wilderness 3 @ Chippewa 2 - The Minnesota Wilderness grabbed their second straight win against the Chippewa Steel, winning 3-2 on Saturday night. Evan Tanos put the Steel in front midway through the opening period only to see Josh Phillips tie the game just minutes later and it would remain tied into the second period. Mitchell Allard gave Minnesota their first lead of the night with his seventh goal of the year. Matthew Berezowski evened the game up at two with his second goal of the season. Then with just 11 seconds remaining in the middle frame, Gavin Rasmussen lit the lamp for the ninth time this year. That would prove to be the game winner as Kaleb Johnson made 24 saves to earn the victory. Berk Berkeliev stopped 31 shots in the loss for Chippewa.
Friday, March 19th
Chippewa 0 @ MN Wilderness 1 - It was a goaltender duel in Cloquet as Kaleb Johnson and Berk Berkeliev went save for save throughout the game. The only time either team found the back of the net was Grant Docter's sixth goal of the season with the assists going to Donte Lawson and Zach Michaelis. Johnson finished the night by making 30 saves while Berkelierv stopped 29 shots. The win snapped a six-game slide for the Wilderness.
• Discuss this story on the North American Hockey League message board...
North American Hockey League Stories from March 22, 2021
- Norsemen Comeback Falls Short in Loss ÃÂ - St. Cloud Norsemen
- Humphrey and Nasca Named Honorable Mention for NAHL's East Division's Star of the Week - New Jersey Titans
- NAHL Announces Stars of the Week - NAHL
- Ice Wolves Tender Forward Sullivan Scholle - New Mexico Ice Wolves
- Minnesota Wilderness Weekend Recap - Minnesota Wilderness
- NAHL Team in Anchorage, Alaska Approved for the 2021-22 Season - NAHL
- Defenseman Blake Arneson Loaned to NAHL Austin - Austin Bruins
- What to Know: Norsemen vs Bruins - St. Cloud Norsemen
- Titans Fall to Nordiques 3-0 in Hard Fought Game - New Jersey Titans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.