Maurice Williams Back in the Game with Erie Explosion
(Erie, PA)- The Erie Explosion have announced the signing of Erie native Maurice Williams to a contract for the 2011 season. Williams (6'3, 185) accepted a scholarship to the University of Pittsburgh, following a standout high school career at Strong Vincent High School in which he was rated as the number four prospect in the state of Pennsylvania. In 2007 he immediately made his presence felt at PITT as he saw time at wide receiver as a true freshman. Williams finished his freshman year at the University of Pittsburgh with 5 catches for 100 yards and a touchdown, and 47 yards rushing on just 6 attempts as a true freshman.
Williams had a decorated high school career at Strong Vincent High School which including him being named a SuperPrep All-American, and being selected to The Associated Press Pennsylvania Class AAA All-State Team as a defensive back following his senior season. A three-year starter who led Strong Vincent to three district playoff berths, a district title, one state playoff berth and a combined 29-8 mark, while earning all-region honors as a defensive back and quarterback. He was rated the nation's No. 13 receiver by SuperPrep ,one of the top 40 receiver prospects in the country by Scout.com and Rivals.com, and was selected to play in the Pennsylvania Football Coaches Association East-West All-Star Game.
"Moe Williams is a very talented and athletic player who has the ability to contribute at a number of positions for us this season. Probably the number one thing that comes to mind with Moe is just pure speed, which will translate well to the indoor game and our style of play on the offensive side of the ball. He is a raw and untapped talent who will have the ability to use this opportunity with our franchise as a springboard to other professional opportunities", commented Erie Explosion Head Coach Shawn Liotta.
The Erie Explosion, proud members of the SIFL, will open training camp on March 4th 2011. For more information on Erie Professional Indoor Football and the Southern Indoor Football League visit www.southernifl.com
• Discuss this story on the Southern Indoor Football League message board...
Southern Indoor Football League Stories from January 17, 2011
- Erie Explosion Announce Coaching Staff for 2011 - Erie Explosion
- Abilene Out Fox's the Competition - Abilene Ruff Riders
- Harrisburg Stampede Open Workout Slated for this Friday - Harrisburg Stampede
- Over a Cup of Coffee - OSC Original by Jerry Hewitt
- Maurice Williams Back in the Game with Erie Explosion - Erie Explosion
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Erie Explosion Stories
- Erie Explosion Suspend 2016 Football Operations
- Explosion Announce Affiliation with New Indoor Football Alliance
- Erie Explosion Welcome D-Day Survivors June 6th
- Join Us in Honoring Those Who Have Served Our Great Nation
- Erie Explosion Playmaker Moe Williams Headed to AFL