Match Preview: #TBRvCHS
Tampa Bay Rowdies vs. Charleston Battery
Saturday, June 15, 6:30 p.m. ET
Al Lang Stadium, St. Petersburg, Fla.
Follow us for live updates on Twitter at @RowdiesGameday
Tickets for Saturday's match are available by calling (727) 222-2000 or clicking here. Gates will open at 5:30 p.m., 60 minutes before kickoff. Fans that purchased a Rays to Rowdies doubleheader package can enter the stadium via the Midfield Gate on 1st St. SE at 4:30 p.m. for the pregame party.
How to Watch
The match will be broadcast online on ESPN+ here. International viewers can watch online here.
Tampa Bay: 8-1-5 (W-L-T), 1st place; 4-1-3 at home
Charleston: 5-3-5 (W-L-T), 8th place; 1-3-1 on road
The Tampa Bay Rowdies will look to bounce back from their first loss of the USL Championship season tonight against the Charleston Battery. The Rowdies were beaten 3-1 by North Carolina FC at home last weekend, but remain in first place at nearly the halfway point of the regular season.
Zach Steinberger came off the bench last week to score his second league goal of the season in the 54th minute, receiving a long outlet pass from Tarek Morad and chipping it over North Carolina goalkeeper Alex Tambakis with his first touch. Steinberger also scored in the Second Round of the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup, so he has three goals in all competitions this year.
Following Saturday's defeat, the Rowdies are now 4-1-3 at home for an average of 1.88 points per game this year in eight matches at Al Lang Stadium. Tampa Bay has been about a half point better on the road, averaging 2.33 points per game away from home.
David Najem is back this week after missing last week's match while away on international duty. He made his international debut and played 90 minutes for Afghanistan against Tajikistan last week in Dushanbe. Najem returned to Florida and trained regularly this week.
After a lengthy injury layoff, Yann Ekra is just about set to return to action. He suffered an ankle injury in training on April 20 and missed a total of 10 matches in all competitions. He was available off the bench last week but did not enter the game. He had played in all six matches the Rowdies played before his injury.
John McCarthy finished as runner-up for the USL Championship Player of the Month award for May. He won the fan vote over eventual player of the month Jerome Keisewetter from El Paso Locomotive FC.
DOUBTFUL - Jaime Siaj (quad strain)
QUESTIONABLE - Shawn Barry (ribs)
QUESTIONABLE - Leo Fernandes (hamstring)
QUESTIONABLE - Andrew Tinari (groin)
PROBABLE - Yann Ekra (ankle)
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from June 14, 2019
- Athletic Rolling Ahead of Clash with Nashville - Hartford Athletic
- Match Preview: ATL UTD 2 vs Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC - Atlanta United 2
- San Antonio FC Travels to Face OKC Energy FC - San Antonio FC
- Three Things to Know: Nashville Soccer Club at Hartford Athletic - Nashville SC
- Ottawa's Irving Snags USL Championship Fans' Choice Save of the Week - Ottawa Fury FC
- Game Notes: Tacoma Defiance at Austin Bold FC - June 15, 2019 - Tacoma Defiance
- Phoenix Rising FC Readies for Rematch with Orange County SC - Phoenix Rising FC
- Match Preview: Bethlehem Steel FC Hosts Saint Louis FC at McCarthy Stadium - Bethlehem Steel FC
- Memphis 901 FC Heads North of the Border Tomorrow as It Faces Ottawa Fury FC in Canada's Capital City - Memphis 901 FC
- Match Preview: Toros Host Switchbacks on Lucha Libre Night - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Energy FC Host Rivals San Antonio Tomorrow Night - OKC Energy FC
- Match Preview: #TBRvCHS - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Switchbacks FC Sign Standout Pair of Air Force Academy Attackers - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Tejada Called in to Panama U23s - Tampa Bay Rowdies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.