Phoenix Rising FC Readies for Rematch with Orange County SC
Phoenix Rising FC welcomes Western Conference rival Orange County SC this Saturday to Casino Arizona Field for a rematch of the 2018 Western Conference Final. The match is scheduled to kickoff at 7:30 p.m. The first 2,000 fans who arrive will receive a free PRFC beach towel courtesy of Foothills Sports Medicine Physical Therapy.
Rising FC comes off another successful $1 Beer Night, dispatching Tulsa Roughnecks FC 5-0 on June 7th and extending the club's record on $1 Beer Night to 11-0-0. In that match, forward Junior Flemmings scored a brace and was joined by forwards Adam Jahn and Solomon Asante and midfielder Andrew Wheeler-Omiunu. Jahn's goal was his sixth in the last five matches.
Goalkeeper Zac Lubin also notched his sixth clean sheet of the season, nearly halfway to the club record for clean sheets in a season (13).
Orange County SC comes into the match on a seven-match unbeaten streak, winning two and drawing five matches in that stretch. Last weekend, the club scraped by with a 1-1 draw at Las Vegas after going down a man at the end of the first half.
Leonardo saved the club a point with his equalizing goal in the 70th minute.
This will be the 19th all-time meeting between the two clubs with PHX's all-time record being 8-6-5.
The largest margin of victory in the series is three goals and it's happened three times with all three instances being a 3-0 win (two times for OC and one time for PHX).
The last eight meetings have resulted in either a draw or one-goal win.
PHX's 19 meetings against OC are the most against any single team in USL Championship.
A Little Bit About Orange County SC
The club's leading scorer is Darwin Jones with six goals in 12 appearances. Aodhan Quinn is second on the club with five goals in 11 appearances.
Quinn and Jerry van Ewijk are the team leaders in assists (3).
OC is first in the league in yellow cards (36) in USL Championship.
OC is tied for second in red cards (3) in USL Championship.
A Little Bit About Phoenix Rising
Adam Jahn has scored six goals in his last five league matches.
Per Opta, the team's 7.0 team rating is tops in USL Championship.
PHX has outscored opponents 16-3 in its last four matches (all wins)
PHX has scored three or more goals in seven of its last 13 matches.
Per Opta, PHX has created 32 big chances as a team, third best in USL Championship.
Per Opta, PHX's 2.4 goals per match is tops in USL Championship.
Solomon Asante moved into a three-way tie for first in assists (7) in USL Championship.
Zac Lubin's six clean sheets are just three off the league leader, TB's John McCarthy.
Per Opta, Asante has the best average player rating at 8.05. He's the only player currently above 8.
Per Opta, Asante also leads the league in key passes per match (3.5) and is second in the league chances created (9). His teammate, Junior Flemmings, also has eight chances created.
PHX comes into the match on a four-game winning streak and with a win on Saturday the team would match the club record for most consecutive wins (5) set in 2017. The streak began with a 2-1 win over COS on September 9 and ended with a 2-0 win over Portland Timbers 2 on September 27.
No-Goal June Continues
Following PHX's 5-0 win over Tulsa Roughnecks FC, the club continued its "No-Goal June" streak. In 2018, the team recorded five consecutive clean sheets in June, the first time the team had ever gone a full month without allowing a goal. In fact, the clean sheet streak dates back to the team's final match of June 2017 (seven matches total). The last time a team scored on PHX in June was the Real Monarchs on June 24, 2017.
Pick Your Poison
There may not be a more lethal threesome up top than Junior Flemmings, Adam Jahn, and Solomon Asante. The trio has combined to score 22 of the club's 31 goals in 2019. That is 71% of the team's goals coming from the forward trio.
Score 'em and Assist 'em
Asante and Flemmings are not only goal scorers (six and eight goals, respectively) but they are also goal creators (seven and five assists, respectively). In fact, 26 of the club's 31 goals have been scored or assisted by one or both players.
National Team Call Up
The club will be without midfielder Kevon Lambert and Junior Flemmings after both were called up by the Jamaican National Team for the the 2019 Gold Cup. Both were last called up earlier this year, on March 18, when the national team had a CONCACAF Nations League qualifier and an international friendly during a FIFA International window.
Just off the point pace
Through the first 13 matches of the season, Phoenix Rising has 23 points. In 2018, the club had 24 points through the first 14 matches of the season en route to setting a club record for points in a season.
Goal scoring pace
Phoenix Rising now has 31 goals scored through the first 13 matches of the season. In 2018, the club scored 25 goals through 13 matches en route to setting the club record for goals in a season.
Iron Man Watch
Forward Junior Flemmings remains the only player on the roster who has appeared in every match this season (13). Defender Amadou Dia became the team's new minutes leader with 990 minutes played. He's followed by Solomon Asante (982), A.J. Cochran (979), Adam Jahn (943), and Junior Flemmings (940) who round out the top five. Kevon Lamber (915) and Zac Lubin (900) round out the player who have played at least 900 minutes this season.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from June 14, 2019
- Athletic Rolling Ahead of Clash with Nashville - Hartford Athletic
- Match Preview: ATL UTD 2 vs Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC - Atlanta United 2
- San Antonio FC Travels to Face OKC Energy FC - San Antonio FC
- Three Things to Know: Nashville Soccer Club at Hartford Athletic - Nashville SC
- Ottawa's Irving Snags USL Championship Fans' Choice Save of the Week - Ottawa Fury FC
- Game Notes: Tacoma Defiance at Austin Bold FC - June 15, 2019 - Tacoma Defiance
- Phoenix Rising FC Readies for Rematch with Orange County SC - Phoenix Rising FC
- Match Preview: Bethlehem Steel FC Hosts Saint Louis FC at McCarthy Stadium - Philadelphia Union II
- Memphis 901 FC Heads North of the Border Tomorrow as It Faces Ottawa Fury FC in Canada's Capital City - Memphis 901 FC
- Match Preview: Toros Host Switchbacks on Lucha Libre Night - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Energy FC Host Rivals San Antonio Tomorrow Night - OKC Energy FC
- Match Preview: #TBRvCHS - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Switchbacks FC Sign Standout Pair of Air Force Academy Attackers - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Tejada Called in to Panama U23s - Tampa Bay Rowdies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Phoenix Rising FC Stories
- Kanneh Becomes Second-Youngest Signing in USL Championship History
- Rising Returns with Dominant 4-0 Victory
- Phoenix Rising vs. LA Galaxy II - July 11 at 7 PM - Game Notes
- Rising Releases Full Schedule for Resumption of 2020 Season
- Phoenix Rising and the USL Championship to Become First Professional American Sports League to Return to Play in Its Local Markets