Match Preview: #LDNvTBR
Loudoun United FC vs. Tampa Bay Rowdies
Friday, October 4, 7:30 p.m. ET
Segra Field, Leesburg, Va.
Follow us for live updates on Twitter at @RowdiesGameday
How to Watch
The match will be broadcast online on ESPN+ here. International viewers can watch online here.
Tampa Bay: 16-6-9 (W-L-T), 4th place; 8-3-4 on road
Loudoun: 7-17-6 (W-L-T), 16th place; 4-7-3 at home
These teams last met on March 30 in Tampa Bay's fourth match of the season. They combined for only four shots on target with neither side able to break through.
The Tampa Bay Rowdies head to Northern Virginia following a dramatic draw on the road against Louisville City FC last weekend. The Rowdies were down a man and trailed 2-0 in the 87th minute against the back-to-back champions but rallied with two goals in three minutes to earn a 2-2 draw. Despite picking up a point, the Rowdies slipped from third place to fourth place last weekend and are now four points out of first place with three matches to go. The Rowdies officially clinched their spot in the USL Championship Playoffs on September 18 but the battle for seeding remains tight.
Tampa Bay has been strong away from home this season, posting a record of 8-3-4 away from Al Lang Stadium so far in 2019. The Rowdies won a combined seven road matches in the 2017 and 2018 seasons. Tampa Bay will wrap the road portion of it's regular season on October 19 in Hartford.
It has been a record-setting season for the Rowdies already with more room for improvement. Tampa Bay's 16 wins this season are a Modern Era (2010-current) club record for wins in a season. The 2019 Rowdies have earned 57 points so far, surpassing the 53 points won by the 2017 Rowdies for the most in a Modern Era season.
Sebastian Guenzatti leads the Rowdies in scoring this season with 17 goals, good for third-best in the USL Championship and a new Modern Era Rowdies regular season record. Guenzatti has scored in four of his last five starts.
While the Rowdies still boast the third-best defensive record in the Eastern Conference with 28 goals conceded in 31 matches this year, Tampa Bay has not kept a clean sheet in six matches. In those six matches, the Rowdies have conceded a total of eight goals, six of which came from set pieces. Regular goalkeeper John McCarthy is tied for third-best in the Eastern Conference with 10 clean sheets.
Tampa Bay will be without midfielder Jordan Doherty after he was dismissed in the 83rd minute last weekend in Louisville. It was just the second time this season the Rowdies finished a match with 10 men.
Jordan Doherty (one game - two cautionable offenses)
Dom Oduro (yellow card accumulation)
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from October 4, 2019
- Loudoun United Defeat the Tampa Bay Rowdies 2-0 - Loudoun United FC
- Orange County Ready to Bounce Back against OKC Energy FC - Orange County SC
- Roughnecks Preview vs Sacramento Republic FC - FC Tulsa
- The Greatest Assist: Players Bring Smiles, Memories to Patients at CHOC Children's Hospital - Orange County SC
- Game Notes: Tacoma Defiance at Fresno FC - October 5, 2019 - Tacoma Defiance
- RGV FC Heads to Tough Crowd at New Mexico United - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- 1868 FC Home Playoff Scenarios - Reno 1868 FC
- Riverhounds Academy Launches Futsal Program - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Memphis 901 FC Journeys to Indy Eleven with Four Matches Left in Regular Season - Memphis 901 FC
- Apocalypse World: Beyond Wasteland Coming to Gnf - Reno 1868 FC
- Phoenix Rising Prepares for Final Road Match of 2019 - Phoenix Rising FC
- San Antonio FC Midfielder Cristian Parano Named No. 2 Overall in USL 20 Under 20 List - San Antonio FC
- Match Preview: Indy Eleven Returns Home to Host Memphis 901 FC - Indy Eleven
- What Questions Remain for Nashville SC's 2019 Season - Nashville SC
- Energy FC in Orange County for Must-Win Match Saturday Night - OKC Energy FC
- Match Preview: #LDNvTBR - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- North Carolina FC Aiming to Continue Stellar Home Form against New York Red Bulls II on Saturday - North Carolina FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.