1868 FC Home Playoff Scenarios
RENO, Nev. - With a playoff appearance secured and just three matches left in the season, Reno 1868 FC is looking to lock up a home playoff match. The boys in blue will have an opportunity to clinch this weekend, contingent on a win.
Heading into the Saturday slate of USL Western Conference matches, Reno owns 53 points. That total is already higher than the bottom 10 teams in the conference could possibly get, even if they were to win out, meaning Reno can finish no worse than eighth.
Should Reno win on Saturday, their point total would move to 56 and guarantee a higher finish than El Paso, Sacramento and Austin. The only teams left that could possibly finish with more points than Reno would be Phoenix, Fresno Salt Lake and Orange County. Phoenix has already secured the top overall seed, and with the top four seeds in the conference being guaranteed a home playoff match, Reno just needs to ensure that at least one of Fresno, Salt Lake and Orange County cannot finish ahead of them.
The soonest that could happen would be this weekend, with Reno playing El Paso and Orange County playing OKC at home at 7:00 p.m. PT. If Reno wins, the club would be watching Orange County and cheering on OKC. A Reno win coupled with an OKC upset of Orange County would clinch a home playoff match for the boys in blue.
But a win on Saturday can secure a home playoff match even if Orange County wins. Real Monarchs and Orange County play each other Wednesday of next week, and a SLC win, Orange County win or draw all clinch a home playoff match for Reno.
There's no way Reno can clinch this weekend, but a win locks it up. It may just be a matter of time.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from October 4, 2019
- Loudoun United Defeat the Tampa Bay Rowdies 2-0 - Loudoun United FC
- Orange County Ready to Bounce Back against OKC Energy FC - Orange County SC
- Roughnecks Preview vs Sacramento Republic FC - FC Tulsa
- The Greatest Assist: Players Bring Smiles, Memories to Patients at CHOC Children's Hospital - Orange County SC
- Game Notes: Tacoma Defiance at Fresno FC - October 5, 2019 - Tacoma Defiance
- RGV FC Heads to Tough Crowd at New Mexico United - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- 1868 FC Home Playoff Scenarios - Reno 1868 FC
- Riverhounds Academy Launches Futsal Program - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Memphis 901 FC Journeys to Indy Eleven with Four Matches Left in Regular Season - Memphis 901 FC
- Apocalypse World: Beyond Wasteland Coming to Gnf - Reno 1868 FC
- Phoenix Rising Prepares for Final Road Match of 2019 - Phoenix Rising FC
- San Antonio FC Midfielder Cristian Parano Named No. 2 Overall in USL 20 Under 20 List - San Antonio FC
- Match Preview: Indy Eleven Returns Home to Host Memphis 901 FC - Indy Eleven
- What Questions Remain for Nashville SC's 2019 Season - Nashville SC
- Energy FC in Orange County for Must-Win Match Saturday Night - OKC Energy FC
- Match Preview: #LDNvTBR - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- North Carolina FC Aiming to Continue Stellar Home Form against New York Red Bulls II on Saturday - North Carolina FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.