Mariners sail over Whitecaps 2-0
Virginia Beach, VA - Trying to make a run for the playoffs and playing in front of the largest crowd of the season, the fired up Virginia Beach Mariners broke the fifth-place Vancouver Whitecaps' 8-game undefeated streak, winning 2-0 at the Virginia Beach Sportsplex.
The announced crowd of 2,112 watched veteran forward Hamisi Amani-Dove score a goal and an assist in the team's best outing of the season. Forward John Barry Nusum netted his third goal of 2005 as insurance and goalkeeper Matt Nelson recorded his fourth shutout. The Mariners have gone 4-2-1 in their last seven starts.
Vanouver seemed to wilt in the 90-degree heat and high humidity and the Mariners took advantage from the start. Just six minutes in, forward David Castellanos fired just wide from inches outside the box, followed by a John Barry Nusum near-miss two minutes later.
Amani-Dove got the Mariners on the board at 31 minutes when Nusum, who was in the box, directed a header down and towards goal and the ball bounced off the arm of Whitecaps forward Joey Gjertsen. Amani-Dove's penalty kick, called for the handball, beat Vancouver goalkeeper Michael Franks high and to the left.
Six minutes into the second half, Amani-Dove crossed a ball in from the right side directly onto the foot of Nusum who buried a beautiful one-touch shot. Nusum and Amani-Dove had paired up just minutes earlier on the identical play but the ball sailed harmlessly through the area for a goalkick.
The Mariners packed up right after the match to travel to Charleston for a 6 p.m. kickoff against the Battery at Blackbaud Stadium on Sunday. The Mariners will then have a 10-day break before hosting an international friendly with Tivoli Gardens of the Jamaican Premier League at the Sportsplex on August 17. Tickets for the match are $8 for ages 11 and up. 2005 season ticket holders and children 10 and under are free. Start time is 7:30 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the USL First Division message board...
USL First Division Stories from August 7, 2005
- Whitecaps win big on the road - Vancouver Whitecaps
- Timbers drown Sounders 1-0 - Portland Timbers
- Mariners, Battery draw 0-0 - Virginia Beach Mariners
- Kickers downed 2-0 by Vancouver - Richmond Kickers
- Battery held scoreless by Mariners - Charleston Battery
- Portland Timbers game notes - Portland Timbers
- Mariners sail over Whitecaps 2-0 - Virginia Beach Mariners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Virginia Beach Mariners Stories
- Mariners host Miami for Fan Appreciation Night
- Mariners host Montreal Friday and Sunday
- Harrison returns to Real Salt Lake
- Mariners host Minnesota
- Simmonds named to USL First Division Team of the Week