Mariners Drop Another One Goal Heartbreaker
Seattle, WA - Playing with 10 men following the ejection of defender Steve Shak in the 74th minute, the Virginia Beach Mariners were seconds from a 0-0 draw with Seattle Wednesday night. But Sounder forward Roger Levesque found the net in the 90th minute to seal the win for the home team.
The match was even and almost uneventful until midway through the second half when Shak came in late on a tackle and was red-card, leaving the Mariners a man down.
But the Mariners' defense held fast until a long ball came into the box from Seattle midfielder Gabe Sturm. Mariner goalkeeper Matt Nelson hesitated and came out late and Levesque was able to get his head on it and send it into the net.
The Mariners continue their west-coast trip Friday when they travel to Vancouver to take on the Whitecaps at 10 p.m. ET. Saturday, they visit Portland to face the Timbers, also for a 10 p.m. ET kickoff.
Virginia Beach returns home Saturday, June 4 also against Seattle. Kickoff at the Sportsplex is set for 7:30 p.m.
June 4th is Soccer Moms/Ladies Night. All Soccer Moms/Ladies will get in free if accompanied by a paying Soccer Dad/child/friend. The match will feature a ladies' halftime match, "ball moms", and special soccer mom giveaways. Also, each fan will receive a Mariners pocket schedule that also includes all 2005 Virginia Beach Mariners Soccer Camp information.
• Discuss this story on the USL First Division message board...
USL First Division Stories from May 26, 2005
- Unbeaten Timbers feature home match at PGE Park Saturday - Portland Timbers
- Rhinos Release Barry and Pilarski - Rochester Rhinos
- Ssejjemba Called Up For Uganda National Team World Cup Qualifier - Richmond Kickers
- Come cheer on the Whitecaps - Vancouver Whitecaps
- Mariners Drop Another One Goal Heartbreaker - Virginia Beach Mariners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Virginia Beach Mariners Stories
- Mariners host Miami for Fan Appreciation Night
- Mariners host Montreal Friday and Sunday
- Harrison returns to Real Salt Lake
- Mariners host Minnesota
- Simmonds named to USL First Division Team of the Week