Marco Bustos Named to USL Team of the Week After Registering Brace against Swope Park Rangers
Marco Bustos broke out in a big way on Sunday, recording a brace within the opening 23 minutes of the match versus Swope Park Rangers, earning his first Team of the Week selection for the year.
The Winnipeg native, who led Whitecaps FC 2 in scoring last season, put in the opening goal on five minutes. On the receiving end of a Brett Levis pass inside the box, Bustos made a quick turn and eluded traffic, slotting in his first goal with his left foot.
Less than 20 minutes later, Bustos would be at it again, this time breaking two Rangers defenders' ankles in congestion, before getting another one past the goalkeeper by pouncing on his own rebound.
The brace gave the 'Caps cushion as they held on to for a 3-2 win to vault back up to the top of the Western Conference.
Marco Bustos is heating up https://t.co/PcMbsVsMIq
- Whitecaps FC 2 (@wfc2) June 13, 2016
Bustos, who also registered an assist on Thursday at Seattle Sounders FC 2, and Whitecaps FC 2 are back in action on Father's Day, June 19 at Thunderbird Stadium. Dads get in for free with a purchase of a regular ticket. 'Caps Club members also have a chance to participate in a special experience. Tickets are available here.
USL Team of the Week
GK - Mark Ridgers, Orlando City B: Ridgers recorded 10 saves as Orlando held on with 10 men throughout the second half to take a 2-1 victory on the road in Charleston.
D - James Musa, Saint Louis FC: Musa recorded three assists as Saint Louis took a 7-1 victory against Tulsa.
D - Jeffrey Payeras, LA Galaxy II: Payeras helped limit a strong Colorado Springs attack to only two shots on goal in a 0-0 draw between the Western Conference sides.
D - Milton Palacios, San Antonio FC: Palacios scored an 87th-minute equalizer for San Antonio as it took a 1-1 draw on the road against Portland.
M - Pierre Da Silva, Orlando City B: Da Silva recorded assists on both OCB goals as the side took a 2-1 victory against Charleston at MUSC Health Stadium.
M - Kevin Oliveira, Swope Park Rangers: Oliveira celebrated his 20th birthday with a goal and three assists in the Rangers' 4-0 win against Rio Grande Valley FC.
M - Marco Bustos, Whitecaps FC 2: Bustos scored his first two goals of the season to lead WFC2 to a 3-2 win against Swope Park on Sunday.
M - Seth Rudolph, Saint Louis FC: Making his first start for the team, Rudolph scored a pair of goals in a 7-1 victory against Tulsa.
M - Liam Miller, Wilmington Hammerheads FC: Miller put in a strong performance in midfield as the Hammerheads earned a 2-2 draw on the road against Louisville.
F - Sean Okoli, FC Cincinnati: Okoli had both goals as Cincinnati took a 2-1 win against Montreal in front of 14,267 fans at Nippert Stadium.
F - Mark-Anthony Gonzalez, Swope Park Rangers: Gonzalez scored three goals in two games for the Rangers against RGVFC and Vancouver.
Bench: Callum Irving (RGV), Jordan Burt (COS), Luca Uccello (TOR), Andy Craven (SEA), Chandler Hoffman (LOU), Irvin Herrera (STL), Yudai Imura (RIC)
This year, every Tier 1 'Caps Club MLS membership includes three open tickets to WFC2 matches. Members can select their matches and theme days online through Account Manager. Information on theme days is available at whitecapsfc.com/wfc2/themedays.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from June 14, 2016
- Switchbacks Fall 1-0 in Open Cup After Late Goal from Colorado Rapids - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- LA Galaxy Sign Pair of Galaxy II Players to Short Term Agreements - LA Galaxy II
- FC Cincinnati Takes on Toronto FC II - FC Cincinnati
- Marco Bustos Named to USL Team of the Week After Registering Brace against Swope Park Rangers - Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2
- San Antonio FC Defender Milton Palacios Named to USL Team of the Week - San Antonio FC
- Swope Park's Oliveira Named USL Player of the Week - USL
- Okoli Receives Second Nod to USL Team of the Week - FC Cincinnati
- New York Red Bulls Come To Town Tomorrow Night For Fourth Round Of Open Cup - Rochester Rhinos
- USL Discipline Report: Week 12 - USL
- FC Montreal Faces Toronto FC II on Wednesday in Ontario - FC Montreal
- San Antonio FC Embarks on Historic Trip to Houston for Fourth Round of U.S. Open Cup - San Antonio FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.