Manatees Partner with the Kennedy Space Center
VIERA, Fla. - The Brevard County Manatees announced on Thursday that they have partnered with the Kennedy Space Center to host Kennedy Space Center Weekend at Space Coast Stadium from May 7-9.
The Manatees will officially change their name to the Brevard County Space Explorers for the weekend. The Space Explorers will wear specialty space-themed jerseys and caps that were designed by Kennedy Space Center employee, Angela Krenn. "The shirt design uses images from the Hubble Space Telescope to show the Comet ISON against a backdrop of distant galaxies and stars," said Krenn. "ISON was the comet which was torn apart when rounding the Sun in 2013. The hat design is an image of Jupiter, also taken by the Hubble Space Telescope. Featured prominently on the front is Jupiter's Great Red Spot, which is a 10,000-mile wide hurricane-like storm." Krenn is a cryogenics engineer for NASA, focusing on propellant systems.
The space-themed jerseys, seen below, will be available for purchase via auction at manateesbaseball.com. The auction starts on May 7. The caps can be purchased in the Manatees official team store, The Lagoon, located at Space Coast Stadium.
"The Kennedy Space Center is excited to share our passion for space exploration with the Manatees baseball team and fans," said Mike Bolger, NASA Ground Systems Development and Operations Program Manager. "As baseball fans and members of this community, we look forward to an out of this world weekend!" Bolger will be throwing out the ceremonial first pitch on Saturday Night.
On Saturday May 9, the Kennedy Space Center Event will feature postgame fireworks, NASA and KSC educational exhibits and displays, photos with the KSC Visitor Complex Spaceman, and activities and entertainment for the entire family. The Fur Circus, a traveling live circus-themed character mascot group who specializes in humor, will also be in attendance.
The Manatees host the Tampa Yankees on May 7, 8 and 9 with first pitch for all three games scheduled for 6:35 p.m. Tickets start at just $6 and can be purchased by calling 321-633-9200 or online at manateesbaseball.com.
• Discuss this story on the Florida State League message board...
Florida State League Stories from April 23, 2015
- Higashioka Delivers in T-Yanks 4-1 Win over 'Tugas - Tampa Yankees
- Bradenton's 19 Hits Too Much for Jupiter - Jupiter Hammerheads
- 'Crabs Win Nail-Biter over Cardinals 1-0 - Charlotte Stone Crabs
- Busy Saturday at Tradition Field - St. Lucie Mets
- Miracle Defeat Mets, 4-2, in First of Three Game Series - Fort Myers Mighty Mussels
- Miracle Hold on for 4-2 Win over Mets - St. Lucie Mets
- Leiter K's 8 in Relief, Threshers Lose 5-2 - Clearwater Threshers
- Manatees Partner with the Kennedy Space Center - Brevard County Manatees
- Threshers Accepting Nominations for Local Military Heroes - Clearwater Threshers
- 'Crabs Lose Tough One to Marauders 7-6 - Charlotte Stone Crabs