Mammoth signs Paul Gait
DENVER - Legendary lacrosse superstars Paul and Gary Gait will be reunited for the remainder of the 2005 National Lacrosse League season after Paul ended his retirement to sign with the Colorado Mammoth, the team announced today. The signing is pending league approval.
Paul Gait will join his twin brother, Mammoth captain Gary Gait, for the remaining four games of the regular season and the team's playoff run. He will make his Mammoth debut on April 1 at Minnesota and return to Denver for the team's final regular-season home game on April 2 against Anaheim at Pepsi Center.
"Gary's and Paul's names are synonymous with lacrosse and the legends of these two men can't get much bigger," Mammoth general manager Steve Govett said. "This is a thrilling way to end two very special careers. Our fans are in for a real treat."
Paul Gait, 37, is the NLL's third all-time leading scorer with 404 career goals. He retired from professional lacrosse after being named the NLL's most valuable player in 2002 while playing for the Washington Power. That season he recorded career highs in goals (54), assists (60), points (114) and loose balls (107).
Gary Gait has served as the Mammoth captain since the team moved to Colorado prior to the 2003 season. That year he broke the league record for most goals in a season with 61. He is the NLL's all-time leading scorer with 587 goals and 1,073 points. He has announced his retirement following the end of this season.
The Gait brothers were teammates at Syracuse University where they won three NCAA national championships. They were first-round draft picks of the Detroit Turbos, for whom they won a league championship in 1991. They also played together for the Philadelphia Wings, winning the championship in 1994 when Paul was named the title game's MVP with eight goals. Paul then moved on to the Rochester Knighthawks, where he won a title in 1997. The brothers were reunited in Washington for the 2001 season.
The Mammoth waived forward Jeff Sonke to clear the roster position for Paul Gait, who will wear jersey No. 19.
• Discuss this story on the National Lacrosse League message board...
National Lacrosse League Stories from March 24, 2005
- K-Hawks acquire Steve Toll - Rochester Knighthawks
- Knighthawks at Minnesota Friday - Rochester Knighthawks
- Stealth Trade Ted Dowling Back To Calgary - San Jose Stealth
- Minnesota Swarm Obtains Arizona's First Round Pick in 2006 NLL Entry Draft In Exchange for Conn - Minnesota Swarm
- Mammoth GM takes citizenship oath - Colorado Mammoth
- Four Teams could clinch playoff berths this weekend - NLL
- Mammoth trades Panos; activates Daly - Colorado Mammoth
- Mammoth signs Paul Gait - Colorado Mammoth
- Bandits elevate White to active roster - Buffalo Bandits
- Can Rock Take Important Series Win from Bandits? - Toronto Rock
- Wilson Earns Weekly Honours - Toronto Rock
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Mammoth Stories
- Colorado Mammoth Add Natural Scorers and Big Bodies in 2018 NLL Entry Draft
- Mammtoh Retiring Lacrosse Legend John Grant, Jr.'s No. 24 on March 24
- Five Straight Wins for the Colorado Mammoth
- Four Straight Wins for the Mammoth
- Mammoth Aiming for Fourth Consecutive Win on Military Appreciation Night