Mallards Season Ends with Hard Fought Shootout Loss in Fort Wayne
MOLINE, Ill. - Fort Wayne's Guy Dupuis converted the only successful penalty shot as the Quad City Mallards, proud International Hockey League (IHL) affiliate of the Philadelphia Flyers, suffered a hard fought 2-1 shootout loss to the host Komets on the final night of the season Saturday evening. The Mallards did earn one point for the shootout loss and suffered just one regulation defeat in their final six games.
Dupuis buried a wrist shot and Fort Wayne goaltender Tim Haun (27 saves) stopped all three Quad City penalty shots to enable the Komets to take the shootout 1-0.
The shootout proved necessary after the Mallards were unable to convert a two man advantage late in overtime.
Both regulation goals were scored in the second period. Brandon Warner's one timer from just above the left wing circle broke a scoreless deadlock at 7:37 of the second. The Mallards responded when Joel Gasper pounced on a loose puck in the slot and ripped the tying goal past Haun at 16:45.
The Komets got on the scoreboard only once over 65 minutes due in good part to a standout 47-save effort from Kyle Jones in the Mallard net.
With the shootout loss the Mallards finish their first IHL season with a record of 29-35-4-8 and 70 points. The Mallards, in fact, went to the shootout with the Komets on each of the last two nights of the campaign- on Friday evening Quad City won its final home game of year in a shootout over Fort Wayne 4-3, but came just short in its bid to match that feat Saturday night.
• Discuss this story on the International Hockey League 2 message board...
International Hockey League 2 Stories from April 17, 2010
- Icehawks drop PrairieThunder to fifth place - Port Huron Icehawks
- Generals Control Own Fate With Victory Over Muskegon - Flint Generals
- Mallards Season Ends with Hard Fought Shootout Loss in Fort Wayne - Quad City Mallards
- Thunder fall in overtime - Bloomington PrairieThunder
- Komets' Defense Of Back-To-Back Turner Cups Begins Thursday - Fort Wayne Komets
- Komets To Face-Off Against Icehawks In Round One - IHL 2
- Komets' Defense of Back-to-Back Turner Cups Begins Thursday - Fort Wayne Komets
- Icehawks Announce First Round Playoff Schedule, Ticket Sales - Port Huron Icehawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Quad City Mallards Stories
- Mallards Clearance Sale this Week
- Motte, Osipov Head to AHL
- Mallards Rally to Win Finale
- Mallards Game Day
- Mallards Battle from Behind for 5-4 Shootout Victory over Wings