Mallards Rally, Fall To Port Huron In Shootout, Earn One Point
MOLINE, Ill. (February 21, 2010) - The Port Huron Icehawks' Nick Lindberg and Tab Lardner converted penalty shots while only Patrick Levesque found the net on a penalty shot for the host Quad City Mallards as the Mallards, proud International Hockey League (IHL) affiliate of the Philadelphia Flyers, Sunday fell to the Icehawks 3-2 in a shootout, a result for which the Mallards did earn one point.
Levesque buried the puck in the first round of the shootout only for Linberg and Lardner to cash in on the final two Port Huron penalty shots.
Overtime and- as it would prove- the shootout only became necessary after Chris Lipsett walked into the goalmouth to erase what had been a 2-1 Port Huron lead with a power play goal at 11:23 of the third period.
The Icehawks took a one goal lead into the third period after scoring twice late in the second to overturn a 1-0 deficit. The game was scoreless until the Mallards' Shane Lovdahl wristed the puck in on a breakaway at 14:33 of the middle frame. The advantage lasted only until Mikael Bedard poked in a power play goal from the goalmouth at 17:11 of the second. The Icehawks took the lead for the first time with just 30 seconds left in the period when Kerry Bowman flipped the puck home from the right wing boards.
The Mallards return to action at home Wednesday night at 7:05 p.m. against the Fort Wayne Komets. 12-ounce drafts will be available for just $2 at i wireless Center concession stands during that game.
Tickets for Wednesday's game and all remaining regular season Mallards home games are available at the i wireless Center box office, Ticketmaster outlets and www.ticketmaster.com or through Ticketmaster charge-by-phone toll free at 1-800-745-3000. The box office is open **Monday through Friday from 10:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., on Saturdays from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. and on game days from 10:00 a.m. through the end of the second period.
• Discuss this story on the International Hockey League 2 message board...
International Hockey League 2 Stories from February 21, 2010
- Icehawks Top Mallards In A Shootout For Fourth Straight Win - Port Huron Icehawks
- Mallards Rally, Fall To Port Huron In Shootout, Earn One Point - Quad City Mallards
- Puska on Pucks features the AHL Outdoor Classic and the ECHL's Cincinnati Cyclones - OSC Original by Denis Puska
- Mori gets five points in Gens' win over Jacks - Flint Generals
- Port Huron turns back PrairieThunder, 4-1 - Bloomington PrairieThunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Quad City Mallards Stories
- Mallards Clearance Sale this Week
- Motte, Osipov Head to AHL
- Mallards Rally to Win Finale
- Mallards Game Day
- Mallards Battle from Behind for 5-4 Shootout Victory over Wings