Lynn Family Stadium Selected as College Cup Host Site
Already home of professional franchises Louisville City FC and Racing Louisville FC, Lynn Family Stadium will also soon play host to college soccer's most prestigious championship.
The NCAA announced Wednesday that the 2023 College Cup - the semifinal and final rounds of Division I men's soccer - is coming to Louisville, with the University of Louisville serving as the host school.
The bid was awarded in conjunction with more than 450 sites for preliminary rounds and finals of predetermined championships in Divisions I, II and III through 2026.
"We consider Louisville a city of champions, and it will be a thrill to see one crowned on our home turf," said Brad Estes, president of Soccer Holdings, LLC, which operates LouCity and Racing Louisville. "Along with serving as a showcase for Lynn Family Stadium, the College Cup adds to our vision of bringing high-caliber events to Louisville."
The NCAA received more than 3,000 bid submissions from member schools, conferences, sports commissions and cities vying to host predetermined rounds for 86 of the NCAA's 90 championships. Sites were selected by the respective NCAA sports committees and approved by the divisional competition oversight and championships committees.
"We are very pleased that the NCAA has chosen Lynn Family Stadium for the 2023 College Cup," said Eric Granger, general manager of Lynn Family Stadium's operator, ASM Global. "We are very appreciative of our partners at LouCity, Racing Louisville, the University of Louisville and the Louisville Sports Commission. We look forward to showcasing the best hospitality to the student-athletes, staff and fans."
Traditionally held over three days in mid-December, the College Cup consists of two single-elimination national semifinals before the championship game. It's the culmination of a weeks-long NCAA tournament that in recent years has encompassed 48 teams from more than 200 eligible programs.
Opened in July, Lynn Family Stadium, located in the Butchertown Neighborhood just east of downtown Louisville, boasts a capacity of 15,304. The facility is outfitted with WiFi throughout, contains plentiful concession options and unique club and suite areas.
Louisville City FC, a two-time USL Championship-winning men's side, currently competes at Lynn Family Stadium. The building will in 2021 also newly serve as home of the National Women's Soccer League expansion franchise Racing Louisville FC.
Images from this story
Lynn Family Stadium, home of Louisville City FC
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from October 14, 2020
- Micron and Republic FC Provides Huge Assist to San Juan Unified Students - Sacramento Republic FC
- Reno 1868 FC Raises Capacity from 250 to 700 - Reno 1868 FC
- Lynn Family Stadium Selected as College Cup Host Site - Louisville City FC
- Railyards Stadium Awarded 2024 Men's College Cup and 2025 Women's College Cup - Sacramento Republic FC
- Louisville's Hackworth Voted Championship's Coach of the Month - USL
- LouCity's Hackworth Named USL Coach of the Month - Louisville City FC
- North Carolina Football Club Partners with Reed and Feed and NCFC Youth for Food Drive - North Carolina FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Louisville City FC Stories
- LouCity Signs Academy Midfielder Moguel to Pro Deal
- GE Appliances Surprises Academy Players with Scholarships
- LouCity Can't Find a Game Winner in Draw at Memphis 901 FC
- What to Watch for with LouCity at Memphis 901 FC
- Hoppenot Stars in Another LouCity Win at Indy Eleven