Last Week around the Leagues
by Fran Stuchbury
May 28, 2019 - Major League Soccer (MLS)
Last week the CFL and CFLPA announced a new three-year collective agreement, the Calgary Roughnecks won their third National Lacrosse League championship, sweeping the Buffalo Bandits two games to none, and the Women's National Basketball Association tipped off its 23rd season. Highlights from this week are from the Arena Football League, Major League Soccer, American Hockey League, Pacific Coast League, Women's National Basketball Association and the National Lacrosse League.
The Tampa Bay XFL team named former NFL head coach Jerry Glanville their defensive coordinator.
The XFL announced that June Jones, a former coach for the NFL's Houston Oilers and USFL's Houston Gamblers, and a former head coach in the NFL, CFL and at the major college level, has been named head coach and general manager of the XFL team in Houston.
Canadian Football League
The Canadian Football League (CFL) and the CFL Players' Association (CFLPA) jointly announced that a new three year collective agreement, through the end of the 2021 season, has been ratified by the League's Board of Governors as well as CFL players.
Arena Football League
Who said kickers can't tackle? Columbus Destroyers kicker Craig Peterson can.
Major League Soccer
New York Red Bulls midfielder Omir Fernandez with the diving header.
Vancouver Whitecaps FC defender Ali Adnan sliced through two FC Dallas defenders to score on a stunning solo effort.
American Hockey League
The Charlotte Checkers scored not one but TWO shorthanded goals in their Game 5 win over the Toronto Marlies .
Morgan Geekie scored 1:52 into the second overtime period to send the Charlotte Checkers to the Calder Cup Finals with a 4-3 win over the Toronto Marlies in a Game Six win.
Max Lagace was credited with the Chicago Wolves fourth goal, becoming the first goaltender in AHL history to score a goal in the Calder Cup Playoffs. Lagace was the last Wolves player to touch the puck before the San Diego Gulls put the puck into their own net.
The ECHL announced that the Board of Governors has voted to terminate the Membership of the Manchester Monarchs, effective immediately, for ceasing operations and failing to ice a team for play in the 2019-20 Season.
Austin Schulfer and Jose Martinez combined for a 9-0 seven-inning no-hitter Wednesday afternoon to give the Cedar Rapids Kernels a doubleheader split against the Burlington Bees at Perfect Game Field at Veterans Memorial Stadium. Cedar Rapids (22-24) bounced back from a 5-4 loss in the twin bill opener to record its fifth no-hit victory in ballpark history and its second in as many years.
Pacific Coast League
In a high-energy win against Memphis, Nashville beat the Redbirds 8-5 in front of 10,442 fans to give Sounds Manager Jason Wood his 600th career win in professional baseball.
19 homers and it's not even June. Houston Astros prospect Yordan Alvarez is on some kind of tear with the Rock Round Express
You all ever see a man hit the soul out of a baseball? Reno Aces outfielder Abraham Almonte did just that.
Women's National Basketball Association
Third overall pick from the 2019 WNBA Draft Teaira McCowan puts in the layup as time expires, lifting the Indiana Fever past the New York Liberty, 81-80 in her debut.
The Calgary Roughnecks swept the Buffalo Bandits 2-0 in the National Lacrosse League Finals, to become the NLL champions after a 14-13 overtime victory at the Scotiabank Saddledome. This was the third NLL Championship the Calgary Roughnecks won.
Here is the game winning goal by the Calgary Roughnecks' Rhys Duch:
Did we miss anything newsworthy or downright fun? Have a nomination for next week's column? Contact us today and let us know.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 28, 2019
- Minnesota United FC vs. Atlanta United Preview - Minnesota United FC
- Elis, Figueroa, Quioto Named to Honduras Roster for 2019 CONCACAF Gold Cup - Houston Dynamo
- By the Numbers: Nan100 - Orlando City SC
- Three FC Dallas Players Called into National Team Duty - FC Dallas
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Minnesota United - Atlanta United FC
- Sporting Ends Homestand Wednesday vs. LA Galaxy - Sporting Kansas City
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decisions Announced - MLS
- Timbers, Starlight Parade, Portland Bureau of Transportation Welcome Public to a Grand Party June 1 in Downtown Portland - Portland Timbers
- Impact Hosts Real Salt Lake Wednesday Night at Stade Saputo - Montreal Impact
- Real Salt Lake Visits Montreal Impact in First of Two-Match East Coast Swing - Real Salt Lake
- Sounders FC to Sign Special Olympics Washington Unified Sports Team Today, Tuesday, May 28 - Seattle Sounders FC
- LA Galaxy set to face Sporting KC, New England Revolution in last contests before international break - LA Galaxy
- Portland to Unveil Long-Awaited Providence Park Renovations - This Week in MLS - MLS
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this article are those of the writer(s), and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.