Keys to the Match: Believe
New York City FC will travel to Foxborough on Tuesday night for their Eastern Conference semifinal meeting with New England Revolution
Here's the Keys to the Match, presented by Tri-State Ford...
Control The Tempo
One of the many impressive aspects behind NYCFC's win against Atlanta United was how the team managed to control a long portion of the game. A cagey first half presented an opportunity for one team to seize control and it was NYCFC that did so.
The foundation of City's style rests in possession-based soccer, and it is through that approach they can either slow down or speed things up. That was central to unsettling and stretching Atlanta United, particularly after NYCFC found the opener through a set-piece.
While the use of corners and freekicks may prove influential again, what will also likely sway the contest is who can seize control amid the chaos. New England are blessed with a strong set of attackers, including playmaker Carles Gil, and it will be important that NYCFC support Maxi Moralez as he looks to repeat his performance from Round One.
New York City FC have made one previous trip to face New England this season, and things started brightly.
The visitors were the better side for the first 15 minutes, a period that saw Taty Castellanos and Santiago Rodríguez combine for the Uruguayan to score a brilliant goal. Unfortunately, Rodríguez was forced off not long after with a hamstring complaint, but the point remains that NYCFC beginning the game as the aggressor suited their style.
The best recent example of that came against D.C. United. The Boys in Blue raced into a 3-0 lead after 11 minutes, and while a repeat of that may be difficult, it is not impossible. A game against the Revolution will be a testing affair, so establishing a strong foundation would go a long way to emerging victorious.
In order to achieve, we must first believe.
The 2021 campaign has been an enthralling rollercoaster for NYCFC. We have witnessed both the individuals and the team as a collective grow, building bonds through adversity and achievement.
One of the more memorable stops along that road was a 2-0 win against the Revolution at Yankee Stadium. While the players won't have the backing of a home crowd, they should take encouragement from that performance and the evidence that they can topple the Revolution.
This group saw a glimpse of their potential last time out against Atlanta. Now handed the chance to move onto the next round of the playoffs by beating the 2021 Supporters' Shield winner, this is shaping up to be the defining moment of the team's season.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 28, 2021
- Nashville Soccer Club Falls in the Eastern Conference Semifinals of the Audi MLS Cup Playoffs - Nashville SC
- Union advance to Eastern Conference Finals of Audi 2021 MLS Cup Playoffs - Philadelphia Union
- Timbers Host Western Conference Final against Real Salt Lake on Saturday, December 4 at Providence Park - Portland Timbers
- Real Salt Lake Advance to Western Conference Final with 2-1 Win at Sporting Kansas City - Real Salt Lake
- Sporting KC Suffers Season-Ending Loss to RSL - Sporting Kansas City
- Keys to the Match: Believe - New York City FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New York City FC Stories
- New York City Football Club, Others Celebrate Crotona Park Soccer Field Renovation
- Keys to the Match: Home Field Advantage
- Kickoff Times Announced for Hudson River Derby and Matches against Charlotte FC
- Five Points: Bright Start
- NYCFC Partners with Crest and Oral-B to Help Close America's Smile Gap