Kansas City Wizards Sign Midfielder Birahim Diop
The Kansas City Wizards announced today that the team has signed Senegalese midfielder Birahim Diop to a Major League Soccer contract. Per team and League policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed.
"Birahim is a guy who brings a physical presence to the field," Wizards Manager Peter Vermes said. "He also has a great attitude, and I think he'll make a positive impact for us in 2010."
Diop began his professional career in his native Senegal with hometown team US Rail de Thiès, where he scored 15 goals in 25 appearances with the squad. He then moved to Dakar-based club ASC Jeanne D'Arc, then one of the top teams in the Senegalese Premier League. After a strong season for Jeanne D'Arc in which he scored 12 goals with seven assists, Diop moved to Major League Soccer to sign with the MetroStars (now New York Red Bulls), who were coached by current Wizards assistant Octavio Zambrano. After his time in MLS, Diop moved to Deportivo Pereira in Colombia, then to Moldova, where he reunited with Zambrano at FC Tilgul-Tiras Tiraspol.
A holding midfielder, Diop joined the Wizards on a trial basis at the start of the 2010 preseason.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from March 17, 2010
- Real Salt Lake Takes Care of Charleston 3-1 - Real Salt Lake
- Wizards Game Versus A.C. St. Louis Moved To Friday - Sporting Kansas City
- D.C. United Signs Defender Lyle Adams - D.C. United
- Kansas City Wizards Sign Midfielder Birahim Diop - Sporting Kansas City
- Earthquakes Owner Lew Wolff Speaks Out About Labor Issues - San Jose Earthquakes
- Red Bulls Announce Free Newark Trolley Service To All Red Bulls Matches - New York Red Bulls
- Josh Lambo Loaned To Tampa Bay Rowdies - FC Dallas
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sporting Kansas City Stories
- Sporting KC's Unbeaten Run Halted in San Jose
- Busio Strikes Late as Sporting Snares 2-2 Draw vs. Red Bulls
- Preview: Sporting Hosts New York Red Bulls on Sunday
- Sporting Falls to Monterrey in Champions League Semis
- Kansas City to Host USA vs. Panama in 2019 Gold Cup