Kain Clips RedHawks with Walk-Off
WICHITA, Kans. - Harrison Kain lifted a walk-off single with one-out in the bottom of the ninth, and the Wichita Wingnuts rallied to clip the Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks 2-1 on Sunday afternoon at Lawrence-Dumont Stadium.
After Brennen Salgado slapped a one-out single against RedHawks reliever Trey McNutt (0-1), Richard Prigatano followed with a walk and then Leo Vargas dumped a single that loaded the bases. Kain worked the count full, then skied a high fly ball that Fargo-Moorhead rightfielder K.D. Kang lost in the sun for the Wingnuts second walk-off victory of 2017.
Starters Jordan Cooper and Tyler Alexander traded zeroes for the first seven innings, with few scoring opportunities to speak of. The Wingnuts (19-10) got a pair of two-out singles in the fourth before a strikeout ended the frame, while the RedHawks stranded the bases loaded in the fifth when Cooper induced a deep fly out.
Fargo-Moorhead (16-15) finally broke the ice with a run in the top of the eighth, as Kes Carter led off with a triple against Wichita reliever James Campbell, then came around to score on a Charlie Valerio sacrifice fly.
The Wingnuts didn't take long to answer in the home half. Kain reached on an infield single, advanced to second a sacrifice bunt, then scored when TJ Mittelstaedt ripped an RBI single to even the score at 1-1.
Seth Harvey (1-0) danced around a two-out walk in the ninth to post a zero and set up Kain's heroics.
The Wingnuts will kick off a four-game road series with the Salina Stockade on Monday night at 7:05, with Tyler Kane (4-1, 3.97) getting the start for Wichita. All the action will be broadcast on 1410 AM/93.9 FM, and at americanassociationbaseball.tv.
For information on tickets, group outings, and party packages, call the Wingnuts main office at (316) 264-NUTS, or visit the Wingnuts official website at www.wichitawingnuts.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from June 18, 2017
- Canaries Sweep Railroaders After 7-5 Win in 11 Innings - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Saltdogs Belt Four Homers to Take Rubber Match with RailCats 11-6 - Lincoln Saltdogs
- RailCats Three Home Runs Not Enough in Series - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Sense of Relief for Saints in 7-6 Win over Goldeyes - St. Paul Saints
- T-Bones Sweep Salina Series - Kansas City T-Bones
- Kain Clips RedHawks with Walk-Off - Wichita Wingnuts
- Saltdogs Sign Former Sioux City Outfielder - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Motl's Big Night Pushes Canaries to Series Win in Cleburne - Sioux Falls Canaries
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.