Jacks Tie Series on Pierce's Overtime Winner
(Odessa, TX) - Jeff Pierce's wrist shot from the top of the left circle beat Chris Whitley and tied the Southern Conference Finals at 1-1 as the Odessa Jackalopes beat the Allen Americans, 3-2, in overtime on Saturday night at the Ector County Coliseum.
Sebastien Thinel had the assist on Pierce's game-winner with a cross-ice pass from the right wing side. The goal was Pierce's fifth of the postseason.
Whitley did everything possible in net for the Americans to try and win the game as he made 42 saves in the game. Odessa's Joel Martin was 29 of 31.
After a scoreless second period, Liam Huculak tied the game for Allen at 2-2 just under three minutes into the third frame to force overtime.
Whitley kept it a close first period as he stopped 17 of Odessa's first 19 shots in the opening frame. The Jackalopes started the game's scoring at 7:40 when Jean Bourbeau put a wrist shot in the top corner after an American's turnover in their own zone. Justin Bowers tied the game on the power play three minutes later deflecting a shot from the point. Odessa then regained the lead on a power play goal from Kenny Bernard at 15:58.
The overtime win was Odessa's second of the playoffs.
The series now shifts to the Allen Events Center where games three, four, and five will be played. Game three is on Wednesday at 7:30 PM. The action can be heard on Classic Rock 102.1 FM.
The Odessa Jackalopes are the Central Hockey League affiliate for the NHL's New York Islanders and the AHL's Bridgeport Sound Tigers. The team is in the middle of their 13th season in the Permian Basin. Season tickets, mini-plans, and single game tickets are available by calling (432) 552-PUCK or visiting jackalopes.org.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from April 11, 2010
- Comeback Falls Short As Mudbugs Take Game Two, 4-3 - Rapid City Rush
- Mudbugs Even Series With Game 2 Win - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Reaney the Hero Again as Rush Take Game One 5-4 in Overtime - Rapid City Rush
- Rush Take Game 1 in Overtime - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Americans fall 3-2 in OT to Odessa, series tied 1-1 - Allen Americans
- Jacks Tie Series on Pierce's Overtime Winner - Odessa Jackalopes