Jacks Stay Alive with Game Five Win, 6-3
(Odessa, TX) - Joel Martin stopped 38 shots and Mike Ramsay scored a pair of power play goals as the Odessa Jackalopes kept their playoff run alive with a 6-3, game five win over the Allen Americans on Saturday night at the Allen Event Center. The Jackalopes now trail the best-of-seven, Southern Conference Finals, 3-2, to the Americans.
Mike Lesperance planted a shot from the top of the faceoff circles into the top corner of the net with just over six minutes remaining in the third period to give the Jackalopes a 5-3 lead in the game. Sebastien Thinel added an empty-net goal in the closing seconds to seal the 6-3 final. Thinel finished the game with four points to lead all skaters.
The game started with an offensive first period where the teams combined for five goals. Odessa received tallies from Dave Van Drunen, Kory Karlander, and Mike Ramsay while the Americans had goals scored by Bruce Graham and Justin Bowers. Ramsay's power play goal at 15:14 of the opening frame broke a 2-2 tie on a shot from the left point.
Ramsay then made it a 4-2 lead for the Jackalopes with his second power play goal of the game at 9:45 of the second period after scoring on a rebound from Paul Bradley's shot between the circles. Bowers responded for Allen with his second goal of the night by deflecting a Jordie Benn shot from the point past Joel Martin with 35 seconds remaining in the period to make it 4-3 after forty minutes of play.
It was the second straight game that Odessa had a multi-goal scorer in Ramsay. Jeff Pierce recorded a hat trick in game four for the Jackalopes. Pierce picked up an assist in the game to extend his playoff point streak to 10 games.
Game six is scheduled for Monday night in Odessa at the Ector County Coliseum at 7:05 PM. The action can be heard on Classic Rock 102.1 FM.
The Odessa Jackalopes are the Central Hockey League affiliate for the NHL's New York Islanders and the AHL's Bridgeport Sound Tigers. The team is in the middle of their 13th season in the Permian Basin. Season tickets, mini-plans, and single game tickets are available by calling (432) 552-PUCK or visiting jackalopes.org.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from April 17, 2010
- Americans drop Game Five 6-3 to Odessa, still lead series 3-2 - Allen Americans
- Rush Push Mudbugs to the Brink with Convincing 4-1 Victory - Rapid City Rush
- Chris Stewart, Matt Thomas and Don Money guest this week on Puska On Pucks - OSC Original by Denis Puska
- Mudbugs Fall in Game 5 - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Jacks Stay Alive with Game Five Win, 6-3 - Odessa Jackalopes
- Allen takes 3-1 series lead with 6-4 win over Odessa - Allen Americans
- Mudbugs Roll Over Rush to Tie Series - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs