Isaiah Davis-Allen Named MLL's David Huntley Man of the Year
Congrats to Isaiah Davis-Allen for winning the MLL's David Huntley Man of the Year Award!
When he isn't suiting up for the Wings in the NLL, IDA is the captain of the Chesapeake Bayhawks in the MLL. In addition to leading the Bayhawks on the field, he led the charge for change this summer, calling upon all lacrosse fans to help make the sport more inclusive. Isaiah has been working tirelessly to grow the sport of lacrosse for years. He has served as a coach for Nation United Lacrosse, an organization that strives to support participation in lacrosse across ethnic, socioeconomic, and geographic boundaries, for the last three years.
The award is named in honor of David Huntley, a former Major League Lacrosse (MLL) coach, and it recognizes the individual who has best demonstrated outstanding sportsmanship, professionalism, and service to their community. It is one of the highest honors a lacrosse player can receive.
Huntley grew up in Toronto, Ontario, before being recruited to play at Johns Hopkins. He helped lead the Blue Jays to consecutive NCAA Championship wins in 1978 and 1979 and was a three-time All-American. In 1979 he won the McLaughlin Award, recognizing the top midfielder in the country. (An award MLL legends such as Gary Gait, Ryan Powell, Max Seibald, Kevin Crowley, C.J. Costabile, and 2020 David Huntley Man of the Year finalist, Zach Goodrich, have received.) Huntley also played internationally and was a member of Team Canada's gold medal-winning 1978 World Lacrosse Championship team.
Huntley began his storied career as a professional lacrosse coach in the inaugural season of the Eagle Pro Box Lacrosse League (a predecessor of the National Lacrosse League) in 1987 when he served as the Philadelphia Wings general manager and coach. In an assistant capacity, Huntley also coached the Bayhawks, Team Canada, Loyola College in Maryland, and Calvert Hall College. As a head coach, Huntley lead NLL's Philadelphia Wings from 2008-2010, MLL's Toronto Nationals from 2009-2010, and MLL's Atlanta Blaze from 2016-2017.
Huntley passed away in 2017, in 2018 Major League Lacrosse established this award in his honor. Last year's recipient was Nick Marrocco of the Boston Cannons. Isaiah Davis-Allen is the third recipient of this award.
Congrats Isaiah, and thank you for everything you do for the sport of lacrosse.
• Discuss this story on the National Lacrosse League message board...
National Lacrosse League Stories from August 20, 2020
- Riptide Trade Buque to New England - New York Riptide
- Buque Is Back with the Black Wolves - New England Black Wolves
- Seals Re-Sign Forward Casey Jackson - San Diego Seals
- Isaiah Davis-Allen Named MLL's David Huntley Man of the Year - Philadelphia Wings
- Zach Manns Signs 2-Year Deal - Toronto Rock
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Philadelphia Wings Stories
- Comcast Spectacor Advances Commitment to Renewable Energy & Sustainability
- Wings Complete Trade for John Ranagan, Former NLL Teammate of the Year
- Philadelphia Wings Add Eight Players to Roster at 2020 NLL Entry Draft
- Isaiah Davis-Allen Named MLL's David Huntley Man of the Year
- Wings Acquire Drexel University Graduate and Top 5 NLL Goal Scorer Ben McIntosh