IFL Cancels Remainder of 2020 Season
SPOKANE, WA (April 13, 2020)- The Indoor Football League (IFL) announced today the cancellation of the full 2020 season "due to the many unknowns surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic and the lack of definitive information as to when states will begin to lift stay-home mandates and again allow large gatherings such as sporting events."
"We understand this decision and take the health and safety of our fans, players, staff and community partners very seriously," said Shock Owner, Sam Adams. "Despite this cancellation, we're also looking forward to playing seven to ten games this year in Spokane, once the Governor gives us the green light."
Adams added that his players have been staying in shape, while exercising social distancing, and will be ready for 2020 play when it happens.
In addition to the cancellation of the games, the IFL's Board of Directors Monday approved an extended 16-game schedule for the 2021 season to add additional value for season ticket holders and sponsors. "This is great news," said Adams. "Our fans and sponsors have been very enthusiastic and supportive about the return of the Shock, so this will help us keep up that enthusiasm and remind them that the Shock is here to stay!"
Adams went on to say, "I am extremely proud of our team, our staff and our dance team as well. They have all handled this unprecedented situation with leadership and a great attitude and we will continue to be out in the community, working with our community partners to provide assistance and hope to those who are needing it the most."
Please continue to monitor the Shock website for a new 2020 schedule once approval is given by the Governor and state officials to begin play.
• Discuss this story on the Indoor Football League message board...
Indoor Football League Stories from April 13, 2020
- Indoor Football League Cancels Remaining 2020 Season - Arizona Rattlers
- Oakland Panthers to Return in 2021 - Oakland Panthers
- 2020 IFL Season Cancelled - Tucson Sugar Skulls
- IFL Cancels Remainder of 2020 Season - Spokane Shock
- Storm Concludes 2020 Season - Sioux Falls Storm
- Indoor Football League Cancels Remaining Games of 2020 Season, Will Begin Preparations for 2021 Kickoff - Frisco Fighters
- IFL Cancels 2020 Season - Iowa Barnstormers
- IFL Cancels 2020 Season - IFL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.