ICE Alumni Luke Philp to Compete for U SPORTS University Cup with U of A Golden Bears
Cranbrook, B.C. - Kootenay ICE alumni Luke Philp will be heading to Fredericton, New Brunswick to compete for the 2018 U SPORTS University Cup as a member of the University of Alberta Golden Bears.
The tournament featuring the country's top men's university hockey teams takes place from March 15-18.
The Golden Bears punched their ticket to the national tournament with a 5-1 victory over the University of Saskatchewan Huskies in Game Two of the Canada West Men's Hockey Championship final on March 3. With the win, the school captured its 27th men's hockey championship.
Philp, 22, registered two assists in the championship-deciding game. Overall, The Canmore, Alberta native finished with two assists in four playoff games.
Philp was recognized for his outstanding play this season, being named the CW Player of the Year on February 28. Philp finished with 11 goals and 40 points in 28 regular season games for the Golden Bears.
During his WHL career, Philp played 247 regular season games over parts of five seasons with the Kootenay ICE. In that time, Philp found the back of the net 95 times while collecting 235 points. Philp also suited up in 28 post-season games with the ICE, recording 12 goals and 27 points.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from March 8, 2018
- Rockets Prepped for a Home and Home Weekend with the Blazers - Kelowna Rockets
- ICE Alumni Luke Philp to Compete for U SPORTS University Cup with U of A Golden Bears - Kootenay Ice
- Broncos Launch 2018/19 Season Tickets Campaign - Swift Current Broncos
- 5 Things You Need to Know for Friday Night - Saskatoon Blades
- Rebels' Turn Saturday to Adorn Don Cherry Jerseys - Red Deer Rebels
- Hockey Challenge 2018 Raises over $170,000 - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Eight ICE Prospects Taking Part in CSSHL Playoffs - Kootenay Ice
- WHL Playoff Race Heating Up - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Giants Rally for a 4-3 Overtime Victory in Kelowna - Vancouver Giants
- Winterhawks Blow out Cougars in Prince George - Portland Winterhawks
- Royals Defeated by Chiefs - Victoria Royals
- Rockets Can't Hold on, Fall in OT - Kelowna Rockets
- Broncos Hang on Down Stretch, Triumph over Hitmen - Swift Current Broncos
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kootenay Ice Stories
- ICE Announce Seven Year-End Award Winners Prior to Saturday's Game
- ICE Conclude 17-18 Regular Season Schedule with Home Date against the Rebels
- Game Day | Ice Begin Season-Ending Home-And-Home Series with the Rebels
- ICE Continue Three-Game Alberta Road Trip against the Hitmen
- Northstar GM St. Patty's Day Pre-Party Presented by the ICE Fan Club to be Held Prior to Saturday's Game