Hurricanes Win NBL Canada Championship
Halifax, (NS) - Halifax Hurricanes Basketball Club were in action Monday June 13th at the Scotiabank Centre for Game 7 of NBL Canada Finals against the London Lightning. The Hurricanes defeated the Lightning 125-117 in a hard fought battle.
Lightning outscored the Hurricanes after the first quarter 23-24, and in the second quarter the Hurricanes outscored the Lightning 32-20 - at Halftime the Hurricanes led 55-44. In the third quarter the Lightning outscored the Hurricanes 27-43, and in the final quarter the Hurricanes outscored Lightning 43-30; the Hurricanes earned the 125-117 championship victory.
Guard, Justin Johnson led all scorers with 41 points. Forward, Billy White scored 19 points. Center, Kyle Hunt scored 17 points and grabbed 8 rebounds. Forward, Renaldo Dixon came off the bench and chipped in with 13 points. Guard, Shane Gibson scored 11 points. Guard, Cameron Bennerman scored 11 points in the win.
Forward, Stephen Maxwell and Garrett Williamson scored 25 points. Forward, Ryan Anderson scored 16 points. Guard, Akeem Scott scored 13 points. Guard, Nick Okorie scored 12 points. Forward, Marcus Capers scored 10 points in the loss.
Halifax Hurricanes Basketball Club become only the second team in league history to win a championship in their inaugural season, and the first Atlantic Division team to win the title. Guard, Justin Johnson was named finals MVP after scoring 41 points.
• Discuss this story on the National Basketball League of Canada message board...
National Basketball League of Canada Stories from June 13, 2016
- Hurricanes Win NBL Canada Championship - Halifax Hurricanes
- Lightning Defeated by Hurricanes in Championship Game - London Lightning
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Halifax Hurricanes Stories
- Hurricanes Lose Tough Battle in Moncton, Magic Tie Series 1-1
- Hurricanes Muscle Through Magic for Game 1 Victory
- Hurricanes, Magic Meet Again in Atlantic Finals
- Hurricanes Crush Highlanders to Advance to Division Final
- Hurricanes Fall to Highlanders in Playoff OT Thriller