Houston Dash Announce 2021 Team Awards
The Houston Dash announced their 2021 end of year award winners today, with a mix of new and familiar faces earning honors.
Team captain and forward Rachel Daly was named the Most Valuable Player and won the Golden Boot as the top scorer for the Dash this season. The Harrogate-native wrapped up her sixth season with the Dash, scoring nine goals in 15 games during the 2021 NWSL regular season and a goal during the 2021 Challenge Cup. Daly's brace against the Thorns on Oct. 6 helped the Dash to a 3-2 victory over the Thorns and the first win in Portland since 2015. Daly was also named to the NWSL's Best XI Second Team.
Defender Katie Naughton was named the Defender of the Year and was voted as the Player's Player of the Year by her teammates. Naughton joined the Dash last season prior to the 2020 Challenge Cup. The Elk Grove, IL native played every minute of every game in all competitions this season, including the NWSL regular season, the Challenge Cup and the Women's International Champions Cup. As a key piece of the backline, Naughton also helped Houston's attack by scoring three goals in 2021, including a game-winning goal on the road against Racing Louisville FC on June 6.
Midfielder Gabby Seiler earned Newcomer of the Year honors in her first season with Houston. Seiler was one of three Dash players to make an appearance in every regular season match in 2021, starting 16 games. Seiler made her Dash debut against Chicago on April 9 during the Challenge Cup. The Peachtree, Ga. native's first career goal was a game-winner on the road against North Carolina on July 17.
Forward Makamae Gomera-Stevens was named the Young Player of the year. Gomera-Stevens was the No. 27 overall pick in the 2021 NWSL Draft. The first-year player out of Washington State joined the Dash on May 21 after electing to play her senior season in the spring of 2021. The Kapolei, Hawaii native made her professional debut on June 6. Gomera-Steven's first two goals came in the form of a brace against UNAL Tigres in September during an international friendly at PNC Stadium.
2021 Houston Dash Award Winners
Most Valuable Player:
Player's Player of the Year:
Defender of the Year:
Newcomer of the Year:
Young Player of the Year:
• Discuss this story on the National Women's Soccer League message board...
National Women's Soccer League Stories from November 23, 2021
- Chicago Red Stars Ownership Statement - Chicago Red Stars
- OL Reign 2021 Team Awards Announced - OL Reign
- Spirit Secure First NWSL Title with 2-1 Win over Chicago - Washington Spirit
- Houston Dash Announce 2021 Team Awards - Houston Dash
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Houston Dash Stories
- Houston Dash Sign Forward Joelle Anderson
- Houston Dash Trade Rights to Forward Veronica Latsko to OL Reign
- Dash Assistant Coach Twila Kilgore (Kaufman) Will Run Upcoming U.S. Under-23 Women's Youth National Team Training Camp
- Michelle Alozie and Jane Campbell Team up for Equipment Donation in Nigeria
- Houston Dash Goalkeeper Lindsey Harris Agrees to a New Contract