Hooks Eliminated from Playoff Contention in 8-6 Loss
CORPUS CHRISTI - The Hooks were officially eliminated from 2019 playoff contention Thursday with an 8-6 loss to the Arkansas Travelers at Whataburger Field.
Midland entered the day with a magic number of one on the Hooks, meaning the loss ousted Corpus Christi. Frisco remains in contention for a spot against Amarillo in the Texas League playoffs.
The back-and-forth affair began with a Colton Shaver RBI single in the first inning against Logan Gilbert. The Travs got one back in the following frame with a Nick Zammarelli RBI triple off Brett Adcock.
Adcock surrendered a solo homer to Cal Raleigh in the third, but Shaver struck back with a two-run shot in the bottom half to take back a 3-2 lead.
Luis Liberato's solo blast in the fourth tied it again until a Jake Meyers RBI single in the fifth. Jake Adams later crushed a two-run homer (6) for a 6-3 lead.
But Arkansas scored four unanswered runs to secure the win. Tommy DeJuneas (2-5) loaded the bases to start the eighth, depositing the game-winning run on a Jarred Kelenic sacrifice fly. Zammarelli provided an RBI single for insurance
Rehabbing Seattle pitcher Austin Adams (1-0) was the pitcher of record for Arkansas, striking out the side in his lone inning of work.
Adcock allowed three runs on four hits and a walk over 4.0 innings, giving up two home runs.
Shaver went 2-for-2 with a homer, three RBIs and two walks in the loss.
Raleigh was 3-for-5 with a homer and two RBIs, while Liberato went 3-for-4 with a homer and three runs scored.
The Hooks wrap up the season with a four-game series against the Tulsa Drillers. Bryan Abreu (6-2, 4.46) is scheduled for the home team as the first 2,000 fans at Whataburger Field will receive a Hooks Oven Mitt, courtesy of Mrs. Baird's, while all fans can stay for Friday Night Fireworks presented by Bud Light.
• Discuss this story on the Texas League message board...
Texas League Stories from August 29, 2019
- Drillers Power Seven Homers in Win over Amarillo - Tulsa Drillers
- Naturals Punch out 'Hounds in Series Finale Win - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Leblanc Tees off in Series Finale - Frisco RoughRiders
- Whitley Wonderful in 2-1 Hooks Win - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Hooks Eliminated from Playoff Contention in 8-6 Loss - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Sod Poodles Manager Phillip Wellman Named 2019 Texas League Manager of the Year - Amarillo Sod Poodles
- Pete Woodworth Voted League Coach of the Year - Arkansas Travelers
- Texas League Names Manager and Coach of the Year - TL
- 2020 Regular Season Schedule Announced - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Milburn, Motter Lead Hounds Closer to Playoffs - Midland RockHounds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Corpus Christi Hooks Stories
- Spend Halloween with the Hooks on October 31
- Three Flicks Added to CC Movie Nights Schedule
- Coming Soon to Whataburger Field: CC Movie Nights
- Hooks Celebrate Whataburger's 70th Anniversary
- Hooks 2020 Season Canceled, Whataburger Field to Host Houston Astros Taxi Squad