Hooks Eliminated from Playoff Contention in 8-6 Loss
CORPUS CHRISTI - The Hooks were officially eliminated from 2019 playoff contention Thursday with an 8-6 loss to the Arkansas Travelers at Whataburger Field.
Midland entered the day with a magic number of one on the Hooks, meaning the loss ousted Corpus Christi. Frisco remains in contention for a spot against Amarillo in the Texas League playoffs.
The back-and-forth affair began with a Colton Shaver RBI single in the first inning against Logan Gilbert. The Travs got one back in the following frame with a Nick Zammarelli RBI triple off Brett Adcock.
Adcock surrendered a solo homer to Cal Raleigh in the third, but Shaver struck back with a two-run shot in the bottom half to take back a 3-2 lead.
Luis Liberato's solo blast in the fourth tied it again until a Jake Meyers RBI single in the fifth. Jake Adams later crushed a two-run homer (6) for a 6-3 lead.
But Arkansas scored four unanswered runs to secure the win. Tommy DeJuneas (2-5) loaded the bases to start the eighth, depositing the game-winning run on a Jarred Kelenic sacrifice fly. Zammarelli provided an RBI single for insurance
Rehabbing Seattle pitcher Austin Adams (1-0) was the pitcher of record for Arkansas, striking out the side in his lone inning of work.
Adcock allowed three runs on four hits and a walk over 4.0 innings, giving up two home runs.
Shaver went 2-for-2 with a homer, three RBIs and two walks in the loss.
Raleigh was 3-for-5 with a homer and two RBIs, while Liberato went 3-for-4 with a homer and three runs scored.
The Hooks wrap up the season with a four-game series against the Tulsa Drillers. Bryan Abreu (6-2, 4.46) is scheduled for the home team as the first 2,000 fans at Whataburger Field will receive a Hooks Oven Mitt, courtesy of Mrs. Baird's, while all fans can stay for Friday Night Fireworks presented by Bud Light.
• Discuss this story on the Texas League message board...
Texas League Stories from August 29, 2019
- Drillers Power Seven Homers in Win over Amarillo - Tulsa Drillers
- Naturals Punch out 'Hounds in Series Finale Win - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Leblanc Tees off in Series Finale - Frisco RoughRiders
- Whitley Wonderful in 2-1 Hooks Win - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Hooks Eliminated from Playoff Contention in 8-6 Loss - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Sod Poodles Manager Phillip Wellman Named 2019 Texas League Manager of the Year - Amarillo Sod Poodles
- Pete Woodworth Voted League Coach of the Year - Arkansas Travelers
- Texas League Names Manager and Coach of the Year - TL
- 2020 Regular Season Schedule Announced - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Milburn, Motter Lead Hounds Closer to Playoffs - Midland RockHounds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.