Helsley solid outing leads to Cardinals victory
Jupiter, FL - Ryan Helsley threw 6.2 shutout innings to lead the Palm Beach Cardinals (38-24) to a 1-0 victory over the Dunedin Blue Jays (32-33). He gave up only two hits, walked one and struck out eight.
Palm Beach got the first hit of the game as Chris Chinea hit a double in the left field corner and got to third on a strikeout, but was left on third after a Leobaldo Pina strikeout. One of Ryan Borucki's ten strikeouts on the evening.
Cavan Biggio got Dunedin's first hit of the game on a single in the third and stole second. He reached third on a wild pitch with two outs in the inning. Helsley got Michael De La Cruz to strikeout swinging to end the threat.
Connor Panas recorded the second hit off Helsley in the fourth inning with a two out single. He was left on first after Lane Thomas grounded out to end the top half of the fourth.
The Cardinals got on the board in the fifth to take the 1-0 lead. Thomas Spitz started things off with a one-out single to that hit off the pitcher. He got to third on a Leobaldo Pina to deep center. With the infield playing in, Luke Dykstra hit a ball to the third baseman that went right between his legs for and error allowing Spitz to come home and take the one run lead.
Helsley struck out four of the last five batters he faced before handing the ball to Dailyn Martinez with two outs in the seventh. Martinez struck out Thomas to keep the shutout going. Martinez got into trouble in the eighth as he gave up a two-out single to Josh Almonte and walked Biggio, but bounced back and got a strikeout on De la Cruz to end the threat.
Ramon Santos was given the ball in the ninth to close out the game. He gave up a leadoff hit and then induced a ground ball that resulted in a double play. He walked Panas before striking out Thomas looking to end the game.
The Cardinals and Blue Jays will play their final game before the All Star break tomorrow at 6:30. Connor Jones will get the start for the Cardinals as the Blue Jays will counter with Jordan Romano.
• Discuss this story on the Florida State League message board...
Florida State League Stories from June 15, 2017
- Miracle Hand Stone Crabs Pair of Losses Wednesday - Charlotte Stone Crabs
- T-Yanks Tally 16 Runs in Doubleheader Sweep - Tampa Yankees
- Helsley solid outing leads to Cardinals victory - Palm Beach Cardinals
- Hammerheads Cruise to blow out Win over Mets - St. Lucie Mets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Palm Beach Cardinals Stories
- Palm Beach Cardinals Begin Push for Back-to-Back Florida State League Championships
- Rick Ankiel to Throw out Ceremonial First Pitch at Roger Dean Chevrolet Stadium on Tuesday, August 14th
- Roger Dean Chevrolet Stadium August & September Promotional Schedule
- Homage to the Beard Night Tuesday, June 26th
- Roger Dean Chevrolet Stadium to Host 2019 Florida State League All-Star Game