Hawks Fall 7-2 to Kelowna in Game 4 Wednesday
The Portland Winterhawks fell to the Kelowna Rockets 7-2 in Game 4 of the second-round playoff series at Veterans Memorial Coliseum Wednesday. The Rockets now leads the series 3-1 with Game 5 in Kelowna Friday.
Defenseman Caleb Jones scored late in the third period for his second consecutive night with two points. Jones has ten points in ten playoff games, and leads all Winterhawks players in postseason scoring. Colton Veloso also added two assists in the loss.
The Hawks will now travel to Kelowna for Game 5 on Friday at 7:05 pm.
- 1st @ 1:48 - Carsen Twarynski (Johansen) opens the scoring for the Rockets. (KEL 1 - POR 0)
- 2nd @ 2:07 - (PP) Reid Gardiner (Thurkauf, Herringer) makes it 2-0 on the power play. (KEL 2 - POR 0)
- 2nd @ 5:49 - (PP) Gardiner (Dube, Stephens) notches his second of the night for a 3-0 Kelowna lead. (KEL 3 - POR 0)
- 2nd @ 9:41 - (PP) Cody Glass (Jones, Veloso) fires the puck past Kelowna goaltender Michael Herringer on the power play to cut the deficit to 3-1. (KEL 3 - POR 1)
- 2nd @ 14:09 - (PP) Nick Merkley scores a penalty shot. (KEL 4 - POR 1)
- 2nd @ 14:37 - Calvin Thurkauf (Gardiner, Merkley) extends Kelowna's lead to 5-1. (KEL 5 - POR 1)
- 2nd @ 17:55 - Thurkauf (Gardiner, Merkley) scores his second of the night for a 6-1 Kelowna lead. Shane Farkas replaces Cole Kehler in net to start the third period. (KEL 6 - POR 1)
- 3rd @ 16:34 - (PP) Caleb Jones (Blichfeld, Veloso) nets a power play goal to cut it to 6-2. (KEL 6 - POR 2)
- 3rd @ 18:45 - (SH) Rodney Southam scores a shorthanded goal to extend Kelowna's lead to 7-2 which would stand as the final. (KEL 7 - POR 2)
Power Play Statistics:
- POR: 2/5
- KEL: 2/3
Shots on Goal:
- POR: 37
- KEL: 40
- POR: Cole Kehler made 26 saves on 32 Kelowna shots. Shane Farkas made seven saves on eight shots in relief.
- KEL: Michael Herringer made 35 saves on 37 Portland shots.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from April 13, 2017
- Rockets Look to Close out Series in Game Five - Kelowna Rockets
- Royals' Chaz Reddekopp Signs with the Los Angeles Kings - Victoria Royals
- Large Crowd Expected as T-Birds Look to Move on to Western Conference Finals - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Rockets Take Game Four with a Commanding 7-2 Victory in Portland - Kelowna Rockets
- Hawks Fall 7-2 to Kelowna in Game 4 Wednesday - Portland Winterhawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.