Hanson, Minges and Leek All Honored in Inaugural Season
The 2005 Texas League Post-Season All-Star Team was announced on Wednesday, with three Springfield Cardinals being named to the team. Third baseman Travis Hanson, outfielder Tyler Minges and starting pitcher Randy Leek were all named post-season All-Stars, as voted on by Managers, Radio Broadcasters and members of the media.
Hanson, who has appeared in a team-best 124 games, is hitting .281 with 20 homers and currently leads the Texas League in RBIs with 91.
Minges, who recently went on the disabled list, had a career-year in his first within the St. Louis system. The former Cleveland farmhand hit .324, second in the Texas League, with 19 home runs and 60 RBIs.
Randy Leek, who was signed by the Cardinals after being released by the Los Angeles Dodgers midway through the 2004 season, has also had a career-year, notching 13 wins, tops in the Texas League. Leek, who has posted a record of 13-6 with an ERA of 3.74 in 25 appearances, is currently tied for second in all of Minor League Baseball with 166.2 innings pitched.
Midland's Andre Ethier picked up the award for Texas League Player of the Year, batting .321 with 18 home runs and 78 RBIs. Corpus Christi pitcher Jason Hirsh snagged Pitcher of the Year honors, going 12-8 with a 3.11 ERA. Midland's Von Hayes was named Texas League Manager of the Year, guiding the RockHounds to a West Division first-half title and the best overall mark thus far in the Texas League.
The entire Texas League 2005 Post-Season All-Star Team is listed below.
First Base - Justin Huber, Wichita
Second Base - Alberto Callaspo, Arkansas
Shortstop - Erick Aybar, Arkansas
Third Base - Travis Hanson, Springfield
Catcher - Mike Napoli, Arkansas
Outfield - T. J. Bohn, San Antonio
Outfield - Andre Ethier, Midland
Outfield - Tyler Minges, Springfied
DH - Jason Perry, Midland
Utility - Mike Aviles, Wichita
Pitcher - Randy Leek, Springfield
Pitcher - Jason Hirsh, Corpus Christi
Pitcher - Jon Asahina, Tulsa
Pitcher - Bobby Livingston, San Antonio
Pitcher - Fernando Nieve, Corpus Christi
Pitcher - Sandy Nin, Tulsa
Player of the Year - Andre Ethier, Midland
Pitcher of the Year - Jason Hirsh, Corpus Christi
Manager of the Year - Von Hayes, Midland
The Springfield Cardinals are just 4.5 games out of a playoff spot in the Texas League's East Division. Cards All-Star Randy Leek (13-6) will try to become the Texas League's first 14-game winner tonight. Game time from Hammons Field is 7:10pm. Plenty of tickets are available by calling (417) 863-2143 or online at www.springfieldcardinals.com. Thanks for your support during this amazing 2005 season!
• Discuss this story on the Texas League message board...
Texas League Stories from August 24, 2005
- Ulloa dominates again, Cards fall to 5.5 out - Springfield Cardinals
- Ulloa hits, pitches Drillers to win - Tulsa Drillers
- Two Missions Named to Post Season All-Star Team - San Antonio Missions
- Hanson, Minges and Leek All Honored in Inaugural Season - Springfield Cardinals
- Hooks Update - Corpus Christi Hooks
- NBA Trophies in CC - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Pressley Picks Apart Travs 9-8 - Arkansas Travelers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Springfield Cardinals Stories
- Book a Field Trip to Hammons Field this Season
- Cardinals Unveil 2019 Giveaway Schedule
- Cardinals St. Patrick's Day Hoodie Theme Ticket on Sale Now
- Cardinals Announce Front Office Changes for 2019 Season
- Ice Bears + Cardinals = 50% off MSU Hockey Tickets Friday