Grizzlies score six unanswered runs for 6-4 win
FRESNO, Calif. - While Francisco Santos doesn't hit a lot of home runs, the ones he does hit matter these days.
Santos hit a dramatic three-run home run in the bottom of the ninth to erase a one-run deficit and lift the Fresno Grizzlies to a 6-4 victory over the Portland Beavers Friday night.
For Santos, it was just his second home run of the year, but it was his second game-winning variety in as many nights. His solo home run in the seventh inning Thursday night broke a 4-4 tie in Fresno's 5-4 win over Portland.
Staked to a 4-3 lead, Portland stopper Bart Miadich entered the game in the ninth in search of his 13th save, but he allowed walks to Dave Doster and Jamie Athas to set the table for Santos, who entered the game in a double switch in the seventh.
Lee Gardner (5-2) got the win for the Grizzlies, who scored six unanswered runs after the Beavers got out to a 4-0 lead. Miadich fell to 2-4 after suffering his third blown save of the year.
Tagg Bozied had an RBI groundout and Freddy Guzman scored on a wild pitch in the first inning to give the Beavers (28-34) a 2-0 advantage. J.J. Furmaniak hit a two-run home run in the fifth, his seventh of the year, for a 4-0 lead.
Fresno (30-32), winners of five of six against Portland this season, cut its deficit in half in the sixth on Brian Dallimore's RBI double and Adam Shabala's RBI groundout.
Brian Sweeney worked into the eighth inning for the Beavers, but he allowed a bunt single to Ray Durham and a double to left to Jason Ellison to begin the frame and was lifted in favor of reliever Mike Bynum, who gave up a run-scoring single to Lance Niekro but managed to limit the damage and allow the Beavers to take a 4-3 lead into the ninth.
Both Bozied and Durham had three hits to lead their clubs.
The teams continue their series Saturday night at 7:05 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 12, 2004
- Royals, Redbirds rained out Saturday - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Brendan Donnelly joins the Stingers tonight - Salt Lake Bees
- Big 1st Inning From Tacoma Dooms Tucson - Tucson Sidewinders
- Downs tosses second no-hitter in Trapper history - Edmonton Trappers
- Grizzlies score six unanswered runs for 6-4 win - Portland Beavers
- Lopez lowers boom on 'Birds again - Omaha Storm Chasers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Beavers Stories
- Statement from Merritt Paulson regarding ownership of the Portland Beavers
- Beavers, Timbers Community Fund Again Recognized by Corporate Philanthropy Awards
- Beavers Win Final Game at PGE Park in Dramatic Fashion
- Young, Geer Combine on Three-Hitter as Beavers Beat 51's
- Portland held to four hits in 9-1 loss