Griffins Outlast Heat in Double Overtime
Abbotsford, BC. - The Abbotsford Heat fell to the Grand Rapids Griffins (AHL affiliate of the Detroit Red Wings) 2-1 in the double overtime on Friday night at Abbotsford Centre. The Heat trail the best of 5 series 1-0.
The longest game in Abbotsford Heat franchise history did not go in the home teams favour, in what was a goaltenders battle the entire game. Petr Mrazek and Joni Ortio were the story as they faced a combined 97 shots on the evening.
The Heat opened the scoring on a goal by Brett Olson, assisted by Sven Baertschi and Corban Knight at 11:44 of the first period.
The score remained 1-0 in favor of the Heat as the teams skated to a scoreless second period. The Heat outshot the Griffins 15-4 in the period.
In the later stages of the third period, the Griffins tied it up at 1-1 with a goal by Mattias Backman at 12:37, sending the game into overtime.
The first overtime period solved nothing as both teams went back and forth trading chances. The Heat outshot the Griffins 13 to 5 in the extra frame.
The game was finally solved late in the 2nd overtime, when Griffins defenceman Ryan Sproul found the back of the net at 19:26.
The Heat went scoreless on six power play attempts in the game and killed off all four Griffins man advantages.
Goaltender Joni Ortio, made 39 saves on 41 shots and settled for the loss. His counterpart Petr Mrazek of the Griffins stopped 55 of the 56 shots he faced and was named the first star of the game.
The Heat continue their first round series against the Grand Rapids Griffins, with game two on Saturday, April 26th at Abbotsford Centre. For tickets, please call 1-877-452-HEAT (4328) or visit us online at www.abbotsfordheat.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 26, 2014
- Marlies Take 2-0 Series Lead with 5-2 Victory over Milwaukee - Toronto Marlies
- Amerks Claim Game 2 with Bounce Back Win over Wolves - Rochester Americans
- Doesn't Ad Up - Manchester Monarchs
- B-Sens Even Series with OT Thriller - Binghamton Senators
- Falcons Rebound To Win Game 3, Take 2-1 - Springfield Falcons
- Devils Deliver In Front Of Home Crowd - Albany Devils
- Admirals Score Three Unanswered to Even Series 1-1 - Norfolk Admirals
- P-Bruins Fall to Falcons 2-3 in Game 3 - Providence Bruins
- Devils Even Series with 4-2 Win over IceCaps - St. John's IceCaps
- Wolves Edged 3-2 as Rochester Evens Series - Chicago Wolves
- "Black Aces" Support Ranger Playoff Run - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Mrazek Shines in Double O.T. Thriller - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Griffins Outlast Heat in Double Overtime - Abbotsford Heat
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.