Giants' Miner Named Eli Wilson Goaltending WHL Goaltender of the Week
November 11, 2019 - Western Hockey League (WHL) News Release
Calgary, Alta. - The Western Hockey League announced today that Colorado Avalanche prospect Trent Miner of the Vancouver Giants has been named the WHL Eli Wilson Goaltending Goaltender of the Week for the week ending November 10, 2019.
In two games this weekend, Miner sported a 1-0-0-1 record, 0.96 goals-against average, and stopped 53 of 55 shots for a 0.964 save percentage as the Giants split a home-and-home set against the Portland Winterhawks. With the three-point weekend, the Giants have now moved into second place in the B.C. Division.
Friday, Miner delivered a near-perfect effort, stopping 26 of 27 shots in a 3-1 win on home ice against the Winterhawks. The 6-foot-1, 179-pound product of Brandon, Man. stopped nine shots in the first, 11 in the second, and six shots in the third as the Giants never trailed. Miner was named the first star of Friday's game.
On Saturday, the Giants never trailed with Miner in net, but fell in an epic nine-round shootout to the Winterhawks to lose by a 2-1 score. Miner stopped six shots in the first, 13 in the second, five in the third, and three more in overtime. In the shootout, Miner allowed three goals on the nine opportunities by Portland. Miner was still named the second star of the game for his efforts.
Miner was originally chosen with the 20th-overall selection of the 2016 WHL Bantam Draft. The 18-year-old goaltender is in the midst of his third season with the Giants, sporting a 5-4-1-1 record, 2.50 GAA, and a 0.911 SV% in 11 games.
Overall, he's appeared in 52 WHL regular season games, maintaining a 32-13-2-2 record, 2.44 GAA, 0.913 SV%, and three shutouts. Miner has also appeared in nine WHL playoff games, posting a 5-4-0-0 record, 2.91 GAA, 0.891 SV%, and one shutout.
The Giants return to action on Saturday, November 16 (7:00 p.m. PT) when they play host to the Prince George Cougars.
WHL Eli Wilson Goaltending Goaltender of the Week
November 4 - November 10: Trent Miner, Vancouver Giants
October 28 - November 3: Joel Hofer, Portland Winterhawks
October 21 - October 27: Shane Farkas, Victoria Royals
October 14 - October 20: Dylan Garand, Kamloops Blazers
October 7 - October 13: Joel Hofer, Portland Winterhawks
September 30 - October 6: Ethan Anders, Red Deer Rebels
September 23 - September 29: Beck Warm, Tri-City Americans
September 20 - September 22: Roddy Ross, Seattle Thunderbirds
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from November 11, 2019
- Blazers defeat Rockets - Kelowna Rockets
- ICE Fall to Wheat Kings - Winnipeg Ice
- Americans Finish Road Trip Sweep with Shutout in Edmonton - Tri-City Americans
- Oil Kings Blanked by Red Hot Americans - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Wheat Kings Crush Ice - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Winterhawks Well Represented on NHL's Central Scouting - Portland Winterhawks
- Giants Issue Statement Regarding Status of Finnish Forward Joona Kiviniemi - Vancouver Giants
- Tigers' Hamblin Named WHL on the Run Player of the Week - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Trent Miner Named WHL Eli Wilson Goaltending Goaltender of the Week - Vancouver Giants
- Giants' Miner Named Eli Wilson Goaltending WHL Goaltender of the Week - WHL
- Tigers' Hamblin Named WHL On the Run Player of the Week - WHL
- Rockets reassign Mofford to West Kelowna - Kelowna Rockets
- ICE and Wheat Kings Renew Rivalry - Winnipeg Ice
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.