Generals Outlast 'Hawks To Win In 4-3 SO
FLINT, MI - The Flint Generals and the Port Huron IceHawks had to compete against the U.S. and Canadian men's hockey gold medal game Sunday, but there were a lot of Generals fans who came out to Perani to support their Gens and cheer them on to a 4-3 shootout victory.
Flint and Port Huron traded scoring chances throughout the first period and both Rob Nolan and Larry Sterling made timely and skillful saves keeping the game scoreless heading into the first intermission.
Second period play favored Port Huron as they jumped out to a 2-0 before the halfway mark. Brandon Kaleniecki scored first about four minutes into the period while on the power play. Brandon Naurato put the 'Hawks up 2-0, for their second power play goal of the night. John Mori put the Gens on the board with a power play goal of his own, deflecting in a Bryan Smolinski shot past Sterling.
The Generals tied things up early in the third with their second power play goal of the night at the hands of Brandon Gentile. Sterling, unhappy with the allowed goal was assessed a 10 minute misconduct as well as a game misconduct and left the game. Jamie Schaafsma gave Flint their first lead of the game after a solid minute of sustained pressure. It looked as if the home team would be victorious but with.38 seconds left Naurato scored his second of the night to send the game to overtime.
The extra five minutes were action packed including a game saver stop by Nolan with two minutes left. Both Nolan and Adam Russo held on sending it to a shootout. After the first three shooters for both sides missed, Matt Moffat put one behind Russo. The fourth skater for Port Huron, Derek Patrasso was stopped by Nolan giving the Gens the win.
Flint went 2 of 5 on the power play while Nolan stopped 30 of 33 shots.
The Generals and the IceHawks meet again Wednesday, March 3rd at Perani for a 7:30 puck drop. Tickets are available at the Perani Arena Ticket Office, by phone at 810-744-0580, or through Ticketmaster.
• Discuss this story on the International Hockey League 2 message board...
International Hockey League 2 Stories from February 28, 2010
- PrairieThunder Doubled Up - Bloomington PrairieThunder
- Mallards Roll Past Bloomington 8-4 - Quad City Mallards
- Dayton Gems Fall To The Muskegon Lumberjacks 6 - 4 - Dayton Gems
- Generals Outlast 'Hawks To Win In 4-3 SO - Flint Generals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Flint Generals Stories
- Generals Zvyagin on Shelf, Alban Signed as Emergency Backup
- Generals and Komets Prepare for Game 4 on Friday
- Generals Win Thriller in OT to Take Game 3
- Generals Prepared For Game 3 Of Turner Cup Finals At Home Tonight At 7pm
- Generals Defeat Muskegon In Game 7; Will Face Fort Wayne In Turner Cup Finals