Fury FC Adds Three to Roster, Including Two 2018 CapCity Cup Trialists
OTTAWA - Ottawa Fury FC announced on Wednesday it has added three new names to its 2019 roster. Trialists Thiago De Freitas and El Hadji Mour Samb have signed with the club, and Daniel Kinumbe will return to Ottawa on loan from Montreal Impact, all pending league and federation approval.
"We're pleased to add these three players to our roster and we look forward to seeing where they can take us," commented Ottawa Fury FC GM Julian de Guzman. "Fans may remember Thiago [De Freitas] and Mour [Samb] from last year's CapCity Cup where they dressed for us. We thought they showed good skills and potential on that stage, and they deserved a closer look."
Thiago De Freitas (TEE-ah-go day Freye-TASS) is a Brazilian/Italian midfielder with over 10 years experience. His playing career took him from Fluminense youth program to Europe, where he featured for clubs in Italy, Germany, Portugal, Hungary and Greece. He also had a stint with FC Edmonton in the NASL. The seasoned midfielder brings high calibre ball control, experience and depth to the Fury FC midfield that will be instrumental in delivering the exciting brand of soccer Head Coach Popovic is working towards.
El Hadji Mour Samb (Moor SAM) is a 25-year-old forward with great promise. The Senegal native has spent time playing in Senegal with Diambars, two more seasons with LOSC Lille B in France, and more recently he played with Tromsø, one of the most prominent clubs in Norway, where he featured in 32 games. Samb is a dynamic forward with speed and good vision that can bring some of that attacking power Fury FC has been looking for.
"They came prepared, as trialists, for training camp and we believe they can develop into great Fury FC players," de Guzman added. "It is also exciting to see players showcased in an event like CapCity Cup come back and earn a pro spot on the roster!"
Kinumbe returns on loan
The young Canadian talent Daniel Kinumbe (KEE-noom-bey) will return to Ottawa on loan from Montreal Impact, with whom he signed an MLS contract in November 2018. Only 19, Kinumbe spent half of the 2018 season with Fury FC, featuring in three games. This lively, eager defender will continue his development under the guidance of Head Coach Popovic while working with the solid defensive core that Fury FC will once again feature this upcoming season.
2019 Fury FC roster breakdown
Forwards (2): François, Samb
Midfielders (8): De Freitas, Dixon*, Fall, Gagnon-Laparé*, Mannella*, Oliveira, Ricci*, Ward
Defenders (8): Attakora*, Barnathan, Haworth*, Kinumbe*, Meilleur-Giguère*, Obasi, Tissot*, Vilfort*
Goalkeepers (1): Monsalve*
* denotes Canadian player
Ottawa Fury FC now has a week of training left in Ottawa before heading south to Florida to put the final touches to its preparation. The club kicks off its 2019 USL Championship season on Saturday, March 9 as it travels to face the Charleston Battery. Fury FC will later open its 2019 home schedule on Saturday, April 6 when Nashville SC visits TD Place. Fans can join the Fury FC Family right away by purchasing a season membership to receive our full offering of features and benefits. For all the details visit furyfcmemberships.com.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from February 13, 2019
- STLFC Draws 1-1 against Austin Bold FC in Preseason Friendly - Saint Louis FC
- Switchbacks FC Unveil New Away Jerseys for 2019 Season - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Preseason Week 2 Preview - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Fury FC Adds Three to Roster, Including Two 2018 CapCity Cup Trialists - Ottawa Fury FC
- Republic FC Announce Tailgating Coming to Papa Murphy's Park - Sacramento Republic FC
- Nico Rittmeyer signs new, multi-year contract with Charleston Battery - Charleston Battery
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Ottawa Fury FC Stories
- Fury FC GM Julian De Guzman on Canada's U-17 Technical Staff for CONCACAF Championship
- Fury FC Drops a Close Game to Reigning Champions Louisville City FC
- Match Preview | Ottawa Fury FC at Louisville City FC
- Fury FC Signs Trialist Protais Mutambala
- Oliveira Makes 18-Player Selection for Championship Team of the Week